project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tip of the Day  (Read 62520 times)

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Tip of the Day
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 04:04:43 pm »
how well would flash bangs be against helmeted aliens
I saw nothing similar to (sorry, don't know proper word) face-plates on aliens' heads: only eye-holes, or "bare" eyes, not shielded at all.

Anyway, I prefer to get temporary (or even semi-permanent) deafness vs became KIA just because of "man-whose-bed-in-same-barracks-as-mine" (again, no proper word - "a colleague at military duty") just could not shoot over my head.

He-he... Old well-known song: "the grenades flying over your head, the missiles flying over your head, if you gonna survive - get outta bed - you in the army now!"  :P

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 10:51:55 pm »
o-o-oh, you're in the army now!

"Status Quo, baby!" ;D

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 02:11:49 am »
man, that is peace of a good song- i dont know if its correct but i connect it with the Vietnam war?

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 04:02:05 am »
i connect it with the Vietnam war?
Bingo!

...Smiling faces at your way to 'Nam...

Juni Ori

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 12:07:17 pm »
Hi, my first post, but I've been reading for some time now - and though I disagree on some points how the game should evolve, it is still great game and job well done! Why I'm posting here, is about that stand/crouch-issue and my own experience in military. I've been on the ground, in position with my lmg, while there were at best three guys above me, everyone aiming into same general direction. In this game, we would had all been in the same square! :D Anyways, all three fired - as well as I did - and I must say down there I didn't here anything else but echoing sound of my lmg (you really don't hear that much of your own gun otherwise). Guys above me and their rifles were like mosquitos in gentle rain. (If someone asks why there were so many men in so small area or should I say in the same spot, reason is simple: we were about to cross the street.) So, hearing issue shouldn't be an issue, nor the line of fire. I was personally very disappointed I couldn't double the opportunity fire in the same line. Not to mention triple it. It is so basics, that it should be somehow fixed. As well as there should be lying on the ground option too.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 09:35:13 pm »
@Juni Ori: Feel free to implement it, and send a patch. :)

-geever

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 06:22:36 pm »
I suggest that the coders would be happy to implement lying down - as soon as a 3D artist arrives who can create all the necessary animations for our current models. [tumble - weed drifts gently across the shot to the distant sound wind whistling on the rocks]

geever: i think I hear an echo
(of mattn)
:)

Juni Ori

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:18 pm »
Me+code=CTD

So, not much help of me...

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 06:51:22 pm »
well: 3d model, map, compose, draw, ....

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 06:37:04 am »
I saw nothing similar to (sorry, don't know proper word) face-plates on aliens' heads: only eye-holes, or "bare" eyes, not shielded at all.[...]
lol, those black "eyes" have no lense, never blink, like insect eyes or else you got to be kidding.

actually, the ufologists have got it all wrong : )
the big black "eyes" of the "grey" are not really their eyes, and the grey color is not really the color of their skin.
the grey color is the color of their space suits and the big black "eyes" that we see are what covers their eyes.
why do people expect that someone who can build a ufo has to walk naked in hostile atmosphere?
everybody knows that aliens are actually green, how do people forget it?
therefore, whatever it is that covers their eyes, it certainly protects them from any harmful radiation.

on a side note, the aliens are no better.
when our peeps were to the moon, they nicknamed us as "silver cyclops" or just "one-eyed monsters".

as for the tip of the day:
if you search the maps very thoroughly you can sometimes find a special item that is called 'a piece of alien fabric', and when you research it you can patent the result and sell the license to earthly textile companies for hard cash.
it will revolutionize the earthly textile industry.
the tip of the day is that this is not true.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:32:08 am by homunculus »

Offline Coconut Jonlan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 05:14:27 am »
Important tip:

You CAN NOT shoot over the head of the soldier CROUCHING in front of you: he blocks your line of fire.

legend:
SS - standing soldier
CS - crouching soldier
^ - direction of soldier's look
tt - target

From sky to soil view under right angle:

===
tt

^
cs
^
ss
===

SS can't shoot target because CS blocks him. It's not good: I've used that tactics in different games: :EU, :AM, :Apoc, where I placed my squad members in 2-3 lines: farthest line is standing, second line is crouching-kneeling, closest to enemy - laid down. So I could have 2-3 shots simultaneously from one point. Now I must move one of soldiers to left-right in order to deblock or to become deblocked. :(

It's a classic infantry tactic dating back to the invention of the rifle (or muskets as they used to call them).

Perhaps it's just too 18th century for this game  ;D

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:13 am »
It's a classic infantry tactic dating back to the invention of the rifle
Read my post carefully please! The idea is: "suggest player not to use such medieval tactics because it is not possible in UFO:AI world"
And it's pity.  >:(

Dusty

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
Tip of the day :)

When you are intercepting an UFO, use 2 interceptors, 1 should engage the UFO first, when the target is on the red fire line, quickly recall the interceptor, let the other to continue interception over the target

The UFO will be after the interceptor you recalled, while the other interceptor will destroy the UFO without being worried about enemy fire

-ah!, for that you will need saracens, because they are faster-

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:20:03 pm by Dusty »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »
As this behavior isn't intentional, it shouldn't be a tip.

-geever

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »
Tip of the day :)

When you are intercepting an UFO, use 2 interceptors, 1 should engage the UFO first, when the target is on the red fire line, quickly recall the interceptor, let the other to continue interception over the target

The UFO will be after the interceptor you recalled, while the other interceptor will destroy the UFO without being worried about enemy fire

-ah!, for that you will need saracens, because they are faster-

btw you can do it with one saracen -- lure the ufo into base range repeatedly until it drops.

and one more, if you want to try how much difference luck makes, you can try save just before end of month so you can relatively comfortably reload if you don't get good enough soldiers.
i guess this one is also just as intentional as the previous hit and run tactics.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:37:25 pm by homunculus »