project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tip of the Day  (Read 62527 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Tip of the Day
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
You can now add your favorite tactics or hints to the Tip of the Day wiki page.

Agrajag

Tip of the Day
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:30:18 pm »
"_Make sure your best soldiers are at the top of the team list. When the soldier limit is lower than the amount of soldiers in your team, the soldiers at the top of the list will be used for the game."

Is there a way to change the order of soldiers on a team? Or is it for multiplayer teams only (so you should keep generating new teams until the soldiers appears in an order you like)?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Tip of the Day
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 01:38:31 pm »
It's multiplayer only. But even so it would be nice to change the order, perhaps by assigning a priority to the soldiers?

Agrajag

Tip of the Day
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 01:54:23 pm »
I believe it is not currently possible then.

:idea:  But if you're going to put it in the game, some sort of "move soldier up/down" button in the equip menu would be nice, for easy user interface.

(Both for multiplayer and singleplayer)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Tip of the Day
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:00:36 pm »
i'm awaiting patches :-P

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Tip of the Day
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:00:28 am »
Important tip:

You CAN NOT shoot over the head of the soldier CROUCHING in front of you: he blocks your line of fire.

legend:
SS - standing soldier
CS - crouching soldier
^ - direction of soldier's look
tt - target

From sky to soil view under right angle:

===
tt

^
cs
^
ss
===

SS can't shoot target because CS blocks him. It's not good: I've used that tactics in different games: :EU, :AM, :Apoc, where I placed my squad members in 2-3 lines: farthest line is standing, second line is crouching-kneeling, closest to enemy - laid down. So I could have 2-3 shots simultaneously from one point. Now I must move one of soldiers to left-right in order to deblock or to become deblocked. :(

nemchenk

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:13 pm »
I've done this. I believe it depends on exactly which way your soldiers are facing etc. You can see the fire line turn red if the shot is impossible, but it is not *always* impossible.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:00:39 pm »
I know about color changes of targeting line, but it does not make sense in this case: I still wandering why I can't shoot over other soldier's head, while he does not really block the way for my bullets.

Offline Pretend

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 07:59:28 pm »
I agree that it was disappointing you couldn't shoot over crouched teammate.

However, realistically thinking.. you would give your teammate permanent ear damage if you'd shoot a loud gun next to his head. :)

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:56:11 am »
you would give your teammate permanent ear damage if you'd shoot a loud gun next to his head. :)
A la guerre com a la guerre. (or smth similar)

Offline Havoc

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 05:01:57 pm »
You see a threat, you stay in CQB formation and you have clear LOS with hostile and no threat to friendlies. You take the shot, no hesitation no second thoughts.

Hearing protection gets a lower priority when death comes racing at you from many directions.  That's an issue of fire discipline, weapons that are of extreme noise level tend to be kept out of CQB operations. (example, a .50 cal Barett Antimaterial Sniper rifle).

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 03:19:20 am »
You see a threat, you stay in CQB formation and you have clear LOS with hostile and no threat to friendlies. You take the shot, no hesitation no second thoughts.
May be offtopic, but may be usable and even could became a part of UFOpaedia - some realworld tactics principles: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1774.html

As to hearing protection... 2084... advanced technologies... can't helmet protect its wearer's ears?

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 07:00:28 pm »
yes - but then the soldiers would not be able to hear the aliens creeping about in the darkness.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 06:18:54 am »
yes - but then the soldiers would not be able to hear the aliens creeping about in the darkness.
directed microphones with over-loUd protection are exists now.

SpartanMarine88

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 07:23:11 pm »
yeah, but then if you think about it how well would flash bangs be against helmeted aliens whose visor darkens to protect against flash blindness and has sound suppressors to protect against deafness