project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: remap keyboard and mouse buttons  (Read 3988 times)

champ

remap keyboard and mouse buttons
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:54:17 pm »
I would love to see the keyboard and especially mouse buttons re-mappable.  I don't know how many times I've right clicked to turn, and they walk there instead of just turn that direction.   I don't know if this can currently be done by modifying a file, but I'd definitely like it if you could do it in the key map options.

A note on moving the map around.  For a great example of how to move a map around in 3D space, see the game Homeworld for a great implementation of doing all your rotating, etc with just your mouse.  Homeworld gets that right.

I'm very happy with this game, it does SO much right -- and better than the original XCOM

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:06:39 pm »
you can do that in your keys.cfg - if you are using the 2.1.1 version, go to base/ folder and extract (the pk3 files are zip files) the keys.cfg from 0base.pk3 - delete the keys.cfg from 0base.pk3 and copy the extracted keys.cfg to your base/ folder - now you can modify the binding as you wish

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:09:39 pm »
see

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Change_binding

for a tip on how to sort out the mouse buttons

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: remap keyboard and mouse buttons
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:42 pm »
Quote from: "champ"
IA note on moving the map around.  For a great example of how to move a map around in 3D space, see the game Homeworld for a great implementation of doing all your rotating, etc with just your mouse.  Homeworld gets that right.

Come on, you can't expect all of us to go play Homeworld just to understand what you mean.

Anyway, mattn, it would be good if key remapping was a little more user-friendly. In other words, there ought to be a menu in-game that caters for this. It really can't be all that hard to make (except maybe the menu itself) and it would make life a lot easier for the players, especially since the default key bindings are not very intuitive (turning soldiers, anyone?). I suggest you put this on a TODO somewhere.

Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:06:21 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
Come on, you can't expect all of us to go play Homeworld just to understand what you mean.

Great game, though, worth the investment if you locate it.  However, think in terms of the camera view in the GTKRadiant system, and you'll be around the right idea (it's not a replica, but that kind of intuitive movement).

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
Great game, though, worth the investment if you locate it.

I played it back in the day. Didn't like it much. The lack of terrain made it boring for me, that and the fact that it's like C&C when it comes to tactics, i.e. build an army to overrun your opponent. I'll take Starcraft, thanks.

But I don't remember the controls being crap, at least.

arch0njw

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »
you can do that in your keys.cfg - if you are using the 2.1.1 version, go to base/ folder and extract (the pk3 files are zip files) the keys.cfg from 0base.pk3 - delete the keys.cfg from 0base.pk3 and copy the extracted keys.cfg to your base/ folder - now you can modify the binding as you wish

Ideally, it would be nice it unzipping and editing a file weren't required.  It is nice that the forums captured this issue so it can be found, but a config screen for this would be very nice.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:08:39 pm »
I think you don't have to unzip anything with the latest version.
Config screen: will be once but it's not as easy as it seems AFAIK.

-geever

odie

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:27 am »

Great game, though, worth the investment if you locate it.  However, think in terms of the camera view in the GTKRadiant system, and you'll be around the right idea (it's not a replica, but that kind of intuitive movement).

I believe u r talking about Homeworld the game? The one in space? I have tat and i thnk HW mod and HW2.... dun sorta like it, cos of its story... earth destroyed.

But i do agree that the controls are quite good. The gameplay deserves otherwise..... i would take Combat Overlord for tactics! Lol. Anytime!

Then again, its all good in controls becos they have a keyboard keys remap option.......

Hence.......

Ideally, it would be nice it unzipping and editing a file weren't required.  It is nice that the forums captured this issue so it can be found, but a config screen for this would be very nice.

I think that arch0njw's point is valid......

and....

Config screen: will be once but it's not as easy as it seems AFAIK.

-geever

It would be good if geever and team could code tat config screen in...... Requires file handles for opening and saving with / without quit, writing of files and reading of files (config.keys)......

Not too hard to code, but may not be the focus at this point. But worth looking into? ;)