project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UGV Control Facility  (Read 17110 times)

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: UGV Control Facility
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 12:27:21 pm »
If we have different UGV designs control center would be probably good. Maybe UGV's could have also exchangeable/upgradeable parts - we could uparmor it or change gun system or "radar" to show around in longer range. Then UGV's can only be modified in base, not in field just before battle like soldiers can be equiped in next versions.

Surrealistik

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 06:46:47 pm »
I think the idea of UGVs being moddable only in base with modular parts is already a feature of their planned initial implimentation.

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 08:31:43 pm »
Okay, sorry that I have missed it - just someone mentioned tens of old obsolite UGV's staying at base just, if I'm not mistaking.

At least is needed UGV management screen, it would be bad to stuck it together with producing which may have very high priority jobs at moment too.

Warzone 2100 is good example how tank bodies, tracks (or wheels or hover skirts) and turrets are put together, make it all changeable and add additional slots for electronics and add-on armor and system would be nicest it can!

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:01:07 am »
On the initial discussion, something else to note was that you could only carry 80 items into a mission, and HWPs only accounted for 1 item, versus the equipment loadout of the 4 men it replaced. That was one reason I always took a maximum allotment of them.

I also agree that UGV maintenance and control is sufficiently accomplished by Workshops and Command Centers. There's barely enough room in bases as it is. (Can I mention that invulnerable/unbuildable rock tiles really irk me? ;) ) Data networks and wireless bandwidth will be high enough in 80 years that the UGVs could be reliably controlled halfway across the world, with advanced enough AI and image recognition software that human operators need only be supervisors.

I agree that with the current maps, 12 soldiers is probably the upper limit.

Another idea for transport limits would factor weight in, and/or allow a trade off between UGV mounts/bays and extra fuel capacity. Later transports could have the advantage of allowing a squad full of powered armour troops plus UGVs greater range, which in earlier transports one would need to sacrifice external fuel tanks in order to simply lift off the ground.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 12:41:58 am »
I certainly think we should limit UGV deployment somehow. Another idea would be to limit UGV capacity for each aircraft to maybe 1 or 2 (or even 0), with additional "UGV Pods" that can be fitted on weapon hardpoints. Small UGVs on small hardpoints, small or medium UGVs on medium hardpoints, etc. etc.

Regards,
Winter

Surrealistik

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 06:04:25 pm »
Seriously, what's the point of artifical limitations on UGVs? These things are giant firepower magnets. They are not as maneuverable as soldiers, make far larger targets and if abiding by the UFO system (which is very sensible), require the exclusion of up to 4 of them. In multiplayer, a UGV heavy team is going to get flanked so hard that it will evoke memories of Hannibal.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:31:54 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 07:33:45 pm »
We can't just equate one UGV to four soldiers, though. As it is we have a maximum of 8 soldiers per mission, so one UGV would halve the squad's numbers. While I realize that we will have larger squads in future versions, I should not think the squad size will go above 12 or so. And even then trading an UGV for soldiers isn't going to be cost effective.

Bottom line, UGVs are carried in addition to soldiers, not in stead. And that means you have to limit the amount you can carry per dropship manually. The pods Winter mentioned sound like a good idea to me.

Surrealistik

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 02:12:00 am »
Depends on how powerful the UGV is. It's a balancing act, and hardly an impossible one at that. UGVs in addition to 12 soldiers is ludicrous. However, if you must go that route, and are keen on rebalancing encounters, because they will be far too easy with UGVs added as is, then yes, the UGV pods are a good idea.

Panthera Leo

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:31 pm »
I certainly think we should limit UGV deployment somehow. Another idea would be to limit UGV capacity for each aircraft to maybe 1 or 2 (or even 0), with additional "UGV Pods" that can be fitted on weapon hardpoints. Small UGVs on small hardpoints, small or medium UGVs on medium hardpoints, etc. etc.

Regards,
Winter

I like the idea of UGVs being mounted in hard points, or latched onto the hull for transit then covered over for aerodynamics. The VTOL goes into a hover, whatever covers the UGV is release, the UGV is dropped before the VTOL lands to deploy troops. Basically turning UGV into a shock troop to secure a landing zone. (,and not having another building to cram into a base.)

If you want to use remote controlled UGV, just pick a reason at random, and stick with it. It's fiction, make a fictional technical hurdle why the aliens will not let you use 1,000 UGV in a single mission. In real life the military has a whole bag of tricks keep stuff like that from happening, but it's fiction and the aliens are well ahead of us. No joke,After four years of electronic theory , and almost completing with my Crisco Certified Network Professional classes(WIP), (which says less about Cisco, and more about the extra-curricular research you have to do to sift though that class.) Pick a angle, and I'm reasonably sure that I could come up with a reason to both defend and defeat it.

However, I suggest something else:

AI controlled, like blood spiders?,  you could turn around and say there is a sophisticated enough AI to get the job done, but still has a steep learning curve and requires input from the squad. So much so that if you had more then two or three a mission that the humans ,even with a full squad, would be nothing more then glorified tech support. Basically, you have to have <x> squad members per UGV. With remote access for the AI's support not working for whatever reason. That or you could say that each UGV requires <x> live units have a glorified RC remote in their backpack for the UGV to be under your control, and work properly.

It would also allow you the freedom to research upgrades, or a creative license add or remove from it's abilities. "A human could do that! Yes, but it's not directly human controlled."

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 01:15:03 am »
...Small UGVs on small hardpoints, small or medium UGVs on medium hardpoints, etc. etc...

"Small", "medium", and "large" UGVs are all size variations in a 2x2 square unit?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 02:24:54 am »
"Small", "medium", and "large" UGVs are all size variations in a 2x2 square unit?

As far as I'm aware we will be having 1x1 UGVs as well. I don't know about 1x2, maybe it's possible. Regardless, I don't think a variation between medium and large in 2x2 squares is hard to achieve.

Regards,
Winter

Serrax

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 07:20:11 am »
IMHO are 'UVG Pods' for the dropship the best way to balance their usefulness.

Keep the system simple:

These Pods are mounted instead of other aircraft equipment - like external fuel pods - in the equipment bays.

This would limit you to exactly 2 UVG Pods per dropship (this probably counts for all other advanced dropships) - by the loose of 50% (?) range.

Now say, each UVG Pod has the electronic ability to control '4 points of UVGs' - and a small one needs 1 point, a medium 2 points and a large one needs 4 points.

Further researches could increase the electronic capacity to 6 or 8 points, if you like. Or you could start with only 2 points...

BTW: I'd like one or two special maps in which you could land with 2 dropships simultaneous. Maybe as a multiplayer feature.

cu

jeric

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 06:45:54 pm »
Please not another building for them> I am anticipating a Psionic build and other defensive stations other than missiles so there is no room as it is. I agree workers in workshop capable of such needs.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 02:33:09 am »
My first reaction is... "what another thing i need to cram in my base?".

But what i consider base overcrowding could be relived by such things as increasing the capacity of labs and quarters.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:21 pm »
I see there is a lot of discussion about available size.
Well about soldiers, I hope that one day we might be able to have 12 soldiers instead of 8, in huge ships. Right now we have only 8.

About bases, hopefully for a lot of cash we might dig through rock, to get another level to use for our base ;)
Until then I think bases can act to "specialize" in various aspects. Like one base that focusses on aerial stuff, another one that
focusses on research etc...

My biggest personal pet peeve is actually the laboratory.
Since research for me is kinda the most important aspect, I'd be happy on anything that helps me with the research stuff... bounty-research with money to research faster, or increasing the amount of scientists able to do research etc.. etc..