project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Intro animation  (Read 40672 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Intro animation
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 03:49:45 pm »
i totally agree with you - also note that we can export wavefront object files for all our maps and create some city scenes.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 11:52:50 pm »
just wanted to let everybody know, that the roq audio is fixed in current trunk

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 02:41:58 am »
Hey, Great!

I've actually had some ideas for in-game RoQ clips, just haven't had too much time recently to put them together, but I plan to soon.

Also,

http://roq.destructavator.com/

Here is where I've been keeping RoQs I've made, from both myself and others.

Also, I believe the ZIP file from the link (on my page, listed above) has a test video with an audio track if anyone wants to test the audio playback with RoQ videos.  It's called "test1.roq" and it's included with PSawhn's clip.  Anyone is free to try it out.

EDIT:  Does the UFO: AI game engine also support playing a RoQ in just part of the screen (during gameplay, without interrupting the game) as well?  I've had a few ideas for clips for the UFOPedia and other stuff.

2nd EDIT: For anyone who wants to try the clips I have on my site, if renaming the zip file doesn't work, the game should be able to find them if the contents of the ZIP are simply unzipped in the videos folder under "base" - And if there are still issues, give me a holler.

As a reminder for the newer people here, the console has the command "cinematic" to play these.

If I remember right, the complete command for the test video clip would be:

- cinematic test1.roq

which should play it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:53:02 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 03:07:43 am »
Ugh!  I just tried it under Kubuntu v8.04, with KDE v3 after updating from the SVN trunk, it crashed not only the game, but KDE as well!  I didn't have to reboot, but I had to press ctrl-alt-backspace and log into Kubuntu again...

It also displayed the message "recursive shutdown" line after line in the system console.

Can anyone reproduce or confirm this glitch?

I also noticed some compile warnings, but no errors, something about "extra tokens" at the end of "if" statements over and over again related to SDL.  Did the libraries used from SDL change recently in the development version?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:22 am »
Does the UFO: AI game engine also support playing a RoQ in just part of the screen (during gameplay, without interrupting the game) as well?  I've had a few ideas for clips for the UFOPedia and other stuff.

yes, this is possible via menu node descriptions, too

Offline Sugna

• Rookie
  • Space Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 02:48:43 am »
"The only "speech" we need (also for in-game dying sounds) are crying civilians, dying sounds for male and female, panic sounds and so on"

Is there anyone working on this right now?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 03:20:36 am »
No.

Offline Sugna

• Rookie
  • Space Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 03:28:16 am »
Well, we could create a specific thread for "user submission" (after proposing some "lines" for each character).

I just wonder if we'll need a studio to record such lines.

Offline Sugna

• Rookie
  • Space Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
Well, we could create a specific thread for "user submission" (after proposing some "lines" for each character).

Doh, okay: I found it.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 06:41:16 pm »
We now have ogm support in ufo - maybe a little easier than creating roq files - also smaller.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »
Nice.   8)

I'd like to test this with the current SVN version - How do I do it with the game console?  Is the command the same as for .RoQ files?  "Cinematic (filename)" or something?

Edit:  I already have some video tools that can encode OGM.  As soon as I encode and test a few on Windows and Linux, I'd be happy to recommend one and update the wiki - some such tools are free, although it varies between platforms a bit, depending on how the OGM is encoded (the OGM container can have multiple codec formats for both video and audio, I'll do some testing to see which ones work with the game).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:19:10 pm by Destructavator »

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »
Does this mean we can have animations for dropships landing?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 11:21:32 pm »
That has nothing to do with it. This is just support for a different video format.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 05:49:04 pm »
you can start them by typing
Code: [Select]
cinematic filename (use tab completion) - the file must have the suffix ogm and must be placed in base/videos.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 07:17:45 pm »
Thanks, I just tried it with a test video.

Unfortunately, it didn't work - the command closed the console, and after I re-opened the console it said the server shut down, then: "No ogm support compilied into the binary."

I checked the "dll" folder under "contrib" and didn't see any new DLL files.  Should there be one there that wasn't put in the SVN?

On a related note to that, I've noticed - from looking at console logs and such - that under Kubuntu Linux some of the libraries get updated with the OS automatically, resulting in my Linux copy having later versions of some of the libraries than my Windows version.  Needless to say, I'm guessing this might cause discrepancies in performance and functionality across platforms.  I've already noticed different FPS rates in the two versions in different parts of the game, on the same machine and same hardware.  (Of course, Windows runs a lot of crap in the background that I'm guessing is very different with Linux, so I'd imagine there's more than one factor that affects that point.)

There could also be a problem with the OGM Videos I created for testing, it might be the format - OGM files can be encoded in more than one way (for both audio and video, various combinations exist), I might need to simply encode them a different way.

By any chance can any of the coders tell me any of the technical stuff as to exactly which codecs and formats within the OGM container format are supported in the game?