project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: blender vs milkshape  (Read 7032 times)

inquisiteur2

blender vs milkshape
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:29:56 am »
I am thinking about starting to model a bit and I am hesitating between blender 3d and milkshape, does someone have experience in both of them ?

Is there any open-source or not too expensive (just wanna be a casual modeller..) modelling software that can be recommended ?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
blender vs milkshape
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:31:34 pm »
at the moment the blender md2 exporter is heavily broken. maybe you should ask sitters what he is using...

3dsmax is too expensive - i paid for my student version 199euro - others i don't know - never worked with milkscape

Hoehrer

blender vs milkshape
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 04:30:07 pm »
My experience with open source modelling& graphics programms...

Wings3D:
* mostly (organic) modelling & uv-mapping/texturing
* fast to learn, easy (to medium) to use
* No aniamtions (this might have changes sicne i last checked)

Blender 3D (the exporter problems aside - this will hopefully be fixed sometime):
* allround program - very powerful in all regards needed for modding: modelling, uv-mapping, rigging, animation
* hard to learn at the beginning

GIMP:
* Alternative to Photoshop and perfectly useable for everything we need in the creation/manipulation of textures

I do not have experience with Milkshape, but from what I heard it's pretty good for game-modelling.

Personally I switched from Wings3D to Blender some time ago and I didn't regret it. The initial struggle with the unfamiliar interface is morphing into an advantage in speed after some time.

Werner

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
blender vs milkshape
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »
I use :

For low poly( no more then 3000 polys ), Wings3D.
For more polys, texturing and mapping I am using Cinema4D, very good but exspensive.

Photoshop for tweaking textures and 2D graphic work.
Milkshape3D, AC3D, QME, for converting the model from .obj or .3ds to MD2.

Willem

Offline RaXaR

• Rookie
    • View Profile
blender vs milkshape
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:03:20 pm »
You can also get a free version of 3D Studio Max, it's called GMax. It's quite okay for poly modelling and was designed specifically for games.  You can find a copy of it at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax .. Hope this helps :)

inquisiteur2

blender vs milkshape
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:33:32 pm »
Ok thx very much to all of you for the advice.

I will be on leave for 2 weeks to Thailand (with my girlfried  :(  ) so hopefully I will start doing that quite seriously when I get back.

regards,

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
blender vs milkshape
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:37:45 pm »
Quote from: "inquisiteur2"
(with my girlfried  :(  )

Hmm. You don't seem too happy about the prospect of spending time with your girlfriend, which makes me wonder.

Either that, or you meant "girlfried" literally, and that's why you're sad.

Wanderer

blender vs milkshape
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:57:36 pm »
Any time I have to take a fried girl over international borders, I pout too.  The questions the damned customs agents ask become rediculous.  "Deep fried?  Sorry, Trans-Fat imports have a special tariff.  Can you PROVE it was non trans-fat?"

Of course, there's always the problem with people trying to steal one of your fries... only in this case, it's your girl.  Beware any customs agent with kechup or mustard!

inquisiteur2

blender vs milkshape
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:40:38 am »
Quote from: "BTAxis"

Hmm. You don't seem too happy about the prospect of spending time with your girlfriend, which makes me wonder.

Well she's not fried don't worry :) , that's just a small joke, I was referring to the fact that most of my friends went to Thailand to "find" a girlfriend(s) actually.  :shock:

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
blender vs milkshape
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 12:20:13 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"

Well she's not fried don't worry :) , that's just a small joke, I was referring to the fact that most of my friends went to Thailand to "find" a girlfriend(s) actually.  :shock:

Yea nice woman there he ?
My wife is also coming from Thailand, but now already seven year in Holland.