project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Armor Questions  (Read 3689 times)

Edge

Armor Questions
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:47:48 pm »
Greeting everyone, i am a new to this game a forums, anyway I just downloaded and played UFO:AI for the first time a few days ago. First off let me say AWSOME JOB to everyone involved. One of the best open development projects I have seen. I have decided I would like to help with developing this game. I want to tackle the armor models for this game.
So I have some questions first

What is the eventual armor tree going to be?

1. Combat Armor
2. Nano Composite
3. Medium Armor
4?
5?
Etc...

Are medium armor models and animations still needed, or is someone already working on them

If not, what is the look you want with medium armor, I already read the guidelines in the models need sticky, but I was wanting  a little more of a guideline.

Also i was  about the Nano Composite Armor is that design set or is a redesign possible, it looks kind of Cartoon to me, Not meant as a insult to whoever created it, just curios

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Armor Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 01:33:33 pm »
As far as I know Winter isn't very happy with the current nano-composite model. He's just waiting for someone with the skill and time do redo it.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Armor Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »
Quote from: "Edge"
Greeting everyone, i am a new to this game a forums, anyway I just downloaded and played UFO:AI for the first time a few days ago. First off let me say AWSOME JOB to everyone involved. One of the best open development projects I have seen. I have decided I would like to help with developing this game. I want to tackle the armor models for this game.
So I have some questions first

What is the eventual armor tree going to be?

1. Combat Armor
2. Nano Composite
3. Medium Armor
4?
5?
Etc...

Are medium armor models and animations still needed, or is someone already working on them

If not, what is the look you want with medium armor, I already read the guidelines in the models need sticky, but I was wanting  a little more of a guideline.

Also i was  about the Nano Composite Armor is that design set or is a redesign possible, it looks kind of Cartoon to me, Not meant as a insult to whoever created it, just curios

The armour tree is going to be:

1. Combat Armour
2. Nanocomposite Armour/Powered Armour (no writeup and model unfinished for Powered Armour)
3. Heavy Nanoplate Suit (no model, not written up)
4. Jet-Assisted Armour (no model, not written up)
5. Currently unknown.

We would be delighted about a redesign of the Nanocomposite Armour model, as it is far too cartoony and unrealistic.

I'll try and sum up the look we want for the armour models.

Nanocomposite Armour: Human design based on reverse-engineered alien technology. Definitely should have a non-human aspect, but still look realistic and cover all vital areas. Beyond that, the design is all up to you, though posting frequently with screenshots is preferred.

Heavy Nanoplate Suit: A heavier, more complete version of the Nanocomposite Armour. Again, human design with an alien aspect. Should fully enclose all parts of the body.

Jet-Assisted Armour: Don't worry about this one until the other two are finished.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Regards,
Winter

Edge

Armor Questions
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:22:02 pm »
With the heavy Nano armor when you say fully enclosed, are we talking about somthing along the line of a powerd suits like the starcraft marine or something that should look as though it is simply worn over the body with a kind of soft armor at the joints and flexible areas of th body

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Armor Questions
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:20:57 pm »
Quote from: "Edge"
With the heavy Nano armor when you say fully enclosed, are we talking about somthing along the line of a powerd suits like the starcraft marine or something that should look as though it is simply worn over the body with a kind of soft armor at the joints and flexible areas of th body

All I mean is that the armour should fully enclose the person inside, leaving no skin or bodily passages open to the outside air. It's not full powered armour, but the suit should have some powered components to ease the weight and enhance the wearer's capabilities.

An vaguely bulky look would be good, but nothing on the order of Starcraft, which has a highly exaggerated style. We want to keep the feel of realism in the game. In art as in writing, good style doesn't call attention to itself. ;)

Regards,
Winter

Agrajag

Armor Questions
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:46:30 pm »
Maybe the most advanced armor should be some sort of spacesuit, as the battles are bound to earth as long as there are no oxygen support.
You never know what the aliens breathes in their ships, it could be anything since they have that breathing apperatus stuffed in their throat.