project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: GNU Licenced sounds repository  (Read 10177 times)

inquisiteur2

GNU Licenced sounds repository
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:19:55 pm »
look what I have found :)

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

thousands of soundtrack with a neat search engine all under GNU public licence.

I currently have slow internet connection so cant really download anything - Hope that helps

regards,

leilei

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:56:03 pm »
Not GNU GPL licensed, nor is it a license compatible with the GNU GPL. Try reading before jumping to conclusions

All audio content you download from the freesound project is licensed under the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license.

Offline BlakeD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:31:06 pm »
Leilei-
Since you seem to be quickly becoming the resident license authority (and since I freely admit I know nothing of it, this is my first time ever contributing to something like this) - Does that CC license mean I can use them for sampling for creating derivative works?  I'm working on sounds for the GeoScape and the Electrolaser, and need legit sources to sample from.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:18:43 pm »
you can use them - the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License is compatible and already used for a lot of sounds.

Offline BlakeD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:31:56 pm »
Okay, then I'm going to town with 'em  :lol:

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 10:32:27 pm »
Quote from: "BlakeD"
Does that CC license mean I can use them for sampling for creating derivative works?  I'm working on sounds for the GeoScape and the Electrolaser, and need legit sources to sample from.

Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License
Creative Commons Attribution
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
are the CC licenses, which allows you to use other's work in your work in any way. But when you do this and want to contribute to UFO:AI with your work, you have to inform us about 1) the license of the original files you used 2) the source of the original files you used (for example http:// link).

We need that info. An example info from our repository:
Properties on 'AlexSullencity.ogg':
  svn:source : background sounds taken from The Free Sound Project, under the Creative Commons Sampling Plus License 1.0; contributors:
RHumphries: 2523_RHumphries_rbh_thunder_storm.wav
Acutescream: 24716_acutescream_file0084edit_LANightAlarm.wav
  svn:license : Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License
  svn:mime-type : application/ogg
  svn:copyright : Alex Parker

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 11:01:03 am »
Quote from: "BlakeD"
Does that CC license mean I can use them for sampling for creating derivative works?

Yes, Sampling License allows you to transform their work and then release the outcome under any license (but you cannot release the original work).

Quote from: "Zenerka"

Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License
Creative Commons Attribution
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
are the CC licenses, which allows you to use other's work in your work in any way.

Hi Zenerka! It's been a long time. :)

Unfortunately, not. Under some of the above licences you cannot release e.g. fragments of their work (e.g. samples) under any license that allows for commercial use (e.g. putting on a DVD of a computer magazine, which iis a borderline case, but still...). So the 1st, 3rd and 5th of the mentioned licenses are not compatible with GNU GPL, and samples taken from 3rd and 5th are not compatible, either (check out with the FSF page about GNU GPL compatibility to be sure).

Good luck!

Edit: clarification.

inquisiteur2

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 11:35:25 am »
You are free:

To sample, mash-up, or otherwise creatively transform this work for commercial or noncommercial purposes. To perform, display, and distribute copies of this whole work for noncommercial purposes (e.g., file-sharing or noncommercial webcasting).

Under the following conditions:

You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). You may not use this work to advertise for or promote anything but the work you create from it.

For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page."

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

Im not a lawyer but sounds that we can use the repository for UFO without any problem.

Im therefore jumping to the following conclusion: The Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license. is therefore TOTALLY compatible with the GNU GPL if minor restrictions are respected.

And yes I know that plagiating the The Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license website is illegal.

Hope that helps.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:25:10 pm »
I've clarified my previous post to avoid misunderstanding.

Quote from: "inquisiteur2"
Im not a lawyer but sounds that we can use the repository for UFO without any problem.

Use for what? --- For sampling only.

Im therefore jumping to the following conclusion: The Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license. is therefore TOTALLY compatible with the GNU GPL if minor restrictions are respected.

By "compatibility" people usually mean the ability to mix works under both licenses in one product. This we cannot do. We can however mix works under GNU GPL and works derived by sampling from those under the Sampling License (but not under the other 2 licenses mentioned by Zenerka).

Offline BlakeD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:01:47 pm »
Positively clear as mud.
 :(

inquisiteur2

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 05:55:03 pm »
Ok thx for the reclarification.

In other words, can blakeD create his sound using the repository ?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 10:26:27 am »
In other words, can blakeD create his sound using the repository ?

Yes, and we can distribute it as part of UFO:AI, as long as the sounds are in any way transformed (even just changing the volume, I guess) and the authors of the original versions are acknowledged.

BlakeD, dude, sorry for mudding this up --- I'm just a bit worried about Zenerka's explanations, because if this is what people here tell newbies about licenses, we may be already up to our neck in a legal mud... Unfortunately I have no time to talk about it in other subforums, so I clarified it here in hope somebody will notice and react...  :roll:

Edit: it seems we are in big trouble already (sorry BlakeD, nothing personal here :) ): the http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html list says that all Creative Commons licenses are incompatible with GNU GPL and the chart at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ says the Creative Commons licences are often incompatible with each other.

I'm not totally sure, but I think even the the Sampling License is not an exception, that is even derivative work cannot be relicensed and so, e.g. it cannot be combined in a bigger artistic work (e.g. our game) under, say, GNU GPL or CC ShareAlike licenses.

Offline BlakeD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 04:33:17 pm »
Okay, withdraw the sound submission for the electrolaser I made.  I'll pull it off the FTP server.  The GeoScape sounds I made are all legit as I made those from sine waves I generated.

I'm trying to contact the owner of the 500kV video to see if it is copyright in any fashion.  It was recorded by Neil Brady, the job foreman on site, working for Nevada Power Company.  Apparently, that was a mostly de-energized circuit.  It only had about 100 amps of current flowing when it made that Jacob's Ladder you see.  (Yes, I've been doing some research into it.  :lol: )

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 07:19:30 pm »
Quote from: "Bandobras"
Unfortunately, not. Under some of the above licences you cannot release e.g. fragments of their work (e.g. samples) under any license that allows for commercial use (e.g. putting on a DVD of a computer magazine, which iis a borderline case, but still...). So the 1st, 3rd and 5th of the mentioned licenses are not compatible with GNU GPL, and samples taken from 3rd and 5th are not compatible, either (check out with the FSF page about GNU GPL compatibility to be sure).

I believe you misunderstood my point. :)
I never said that any CC license is compatible with GNU GPL, no. What I wrote is the list of licenses, which will be accepted for UFO:AI as licenses of contributed work.
I believe it is obvious to everyone that we cannot release contribution with any CC-* license under GPL license and - I believe - noone is going to try that.
We already have tons of stuff with some CreativeCommons licenses.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 11:04:26 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"
[I believe you misunderstood my point. :)

I was referring specifically to your

are the CC licenses, which allows you to use other's work in your work in any way.

This is not "any way". You can modify such work, but you can also modify any work, regardless of license, as long as you don't publish it. However, with non-commercial licenses you cannot modify and distribute e.g. on a DVD accompanying a magazine, or on a DVD with a Linux distribution sold for close to shipping costs, or preinstalled on a computer, possibly even downloaded from a site with any ads on it.

And there is another problem, the one wit incompatibility between licenses. The non-commercial clause is one of many causes of such incompatibility. In the effect, UFO:AI would not be distributable as one work, but as a set of several packages, each under different license. And it still can be illegal, because the separate parts are obviously meant to be used as a single work, so we violate some of the licenses.