project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2 Suggestions  (Read 2008 times)

dziugas

2 Suggestions
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:48:26 pm »
A couple of suggestions:
a better? system to micro manage research and manufacturing:
example:

researching laser pistol
scientist stats      multiplier      gain   
main      78         1      78
math      70         0.4      28
physics   60         0.4      24
chemistry   20         0.15      3
biology   20         0.05      1
total   134   per hour

laser pistol needs 1000 points
n laser techs known, then need x/m+1 points
m is some coefficient, that is related to number of techs, and similarity
example: laser rifle, similarity - high (+1)
laser canon similarity - medium (+0.5)
ammo, similarity - low (+0.1)
so, to research laser pistol, with rifle, canon and ammo techs known, we would need:
(1000/2.6) ~384 points
gain limited stat increases according to time spent to research stat related tech
(researching a math based new technology would grant those scientists some small math bonus)

similar system for engineers

other suggestion:
some inbase and offbase buildings

living room      newbies gain VERY small amount of exp/stat increase for spending time in base with veterans

inbase training room      2 veterans max, 5 newbs per veteran (limited space)
      gain all stat increases from teacher, according to his stats, up to 75% of teacher stats. teacher gains exp too, only number? times slower. soldiers can enter facility at any time, but need to spend at least 24 hours before stat increase counting begins

offbase training facility         soldiers (veteran + newbs) go there, equip training gear and leave for 7? days
      much better exp gain, cant be recalled, possible injuries (light 30%, medium 15%, heavy 5%). exp gain is divided for trainees equally, less trainees = more exp

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:10:48 pm »
I like the Idea with the special fields of the scientists, but I dont think that it is neccesary to give them stats too (this would just result in a very confusing research screen, where you have to decide which one should work on a certain topic. If you divide them you get your first results very late. If you dont do it it wouldnt be very efficient. You might get the false scientist at the beginning... )

In general I am the opinion, that there should be an endless amount of scientists available for hire (in the categories you mentioned + hiring is connected to a certain price for your scientists (~50.000 Credits)). Depending on the research topic every scientist gets a multiplier. And then you can get your research points for your laser pistol (I also would prefer a player that doesn't know the progress, just a "unknown", "average" and a "good" should be enough)

If you have the money to hire and unhire your scientists you can buy after every topic new ones and dismiss the old ones. If you dont have it you have to work with your old ones. Of course there will be a few hours to wait for the new scientists to arrive (the payment should be done per day summed up for the end of a month)

But this are just some thoughts about it... If you want it to be done, convince BTAxis or Mattn or do it yourself (should be the easiest way^^)

About your other suggestions:
The living room is going to be removed for being completely useless... Giving your newbies very a small amount of stats is quite useless too...
Inbase training room: I dont like the idea of "another" building... Currently I get the impression, that my base is too small, whatever I do (the command post, the power generator, the huge alien prisons, the 2 UFO storing rooms, the huge workshop...) But I wouldnt dismiss the idea completely, maybe it could be merged with a "psionic power" training room (if something like psi powers are going to be implemented)
Offbase training facility: Why not just implementing a button "training" --> The soldier wont be available for several days and gets better stats (to a certain amount)

But the main question is: Do we really need to train the soldiers? In my opinion yes, maybe, but there are several other things have a higher priority. Training lessons would implement a bit more depth to the game, but this is something that really should be done in the end... (or implemented by yourself  ::))