project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Music for Airfights / Interceptions Question  (Read 20109 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Music for Airfights / Interceptions Question
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 01:55:26 am »
EDIT: Regarding customizing the playback for the odds of winning/losing, what would really be cool would be music that dynamically changed each phrase* according to how the fight went on, although I'd imagine it might be a headache for the coders.  What could be an easier compromise would be a little victory tune if the player wins, or losing tune if not, right before going back to the main geoscape view zooming out.  Personally, I'd rather concentrate on getting some basic tunes for combat that work, first, before adding complications.

Rather than absolute winning or losing tunes, I'd rather have short musical stings when a friendly or enemy plane goes down. Again, not so easy to implement.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 02:37:16 am »
Rather than absolute winning or losing tunes, I'd rather have short musical stings when a friendly or enemy plane goes down. Again, not so easy to implement.

That's actually what I meant by "phrase" (sorry, I didn't explain what "phrase" means in musical terminology, it refers to short groups of measures, kinda like words are grouped into a sentence, and they are typically repeated).

From the composing / recording end, it would be easy to break up a track into phrases or segments, although for the coders, they would have to make the game keep track of playing a set order or sequence of such segments in an order that can change when an aircraft goes down (for example, a UFO goes down, and a "happy" or "victory" segment comes up next before returning to the main sequence) and it would get complicated quickly.  On the other hand, if all that work was done, yes it would be very cool, dynamic music that responds to what happens in the game.

And an update:  I actually got a "rough draft" track uploaded to my website server, although I'm not fully confident it would work:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ERc1g.ogg

The guitars need work as I only did quick, rough takes and was also making up the tune while I was playing it.  It certainly isn't a finished product, but if anyone likes even part of it, I can bring out and develop that part and axe the rest.

This track is just one of several ideas - I'm working on some others that have a different mood and feel.

Again, I'm not completely happy with this one, although on the plus side it's very loop-able in playback.

This particular track was made with the "glory/off-to-battle/save-the-day" type of idea when I started it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:39:23 am by Destructavator »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 04:38:35 am »
That's actually what I meant by "phrase" (sorry, I didn't explain what "phrase" means in musical terminology, it refers to short groups of measures, kinda like words are grouped into a sentence, and they are typically repeated).

From the composing / recording end, it would be easy to break up a track into phrases or segments, although for the coders, they would have to make the game keep track of playing a set order or sequence of such segments in an order that can change when an aircraft goes down (for example, a UFO goes down, and a "happy" or "victory" segment comes up next before returning to the main sequence) and it would get complicated quickly.  On the other hand, if all that work was done, yes it would be very cool, dynamic music that responds to what happens in the game.

And an update:  I actually got a "rough draft" track uploaded to my website server, although I'm not fully confident it would work:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ERc1g.ogg

The guitars need work as I only did quick, rough takes and was also making up the tune while I was playing it.  It certainly isn't a finished product, but if anyone likes even part of it, I can bring out and develop that part and axe the rest.

This track is just one of several ideas - I'm working on some others that have a different mood and feel.

Again, I'm not completely happy with this one, although on the plus side it's very loop-able in playback.

This particular track was made with the "glory/off-to-battle/save-the-day" type of idea when I started it.

I love everything in that track except for the drum intro and the short drum stings at the end of each phrase, specifically the sting that you use for the entire first half. Drum stings can sound ugly even when done by the best bands, and here they sound awful and artificial. You seem to use them a lot in the tracks you've done for UFO:AI and they always drag the whole thing down a little bit.

Also, the guitars right after the intro get a little bit repetitive before the lead kicks in. One or two fewer phrases there would be better.

On a more positive note, it has the action-y vibe, the urgency, and even a touch of upbeatness here and there where the lead guitar goes high. The main riff is a little bit dark, but I like that. It would certainly be good to create an oppressive athmosphere.

Using the music in phrases would be awesome but I think it would probably be too much overhead for the coders to deal with.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 05:10:38 am »
OK, keeping these points in mind, I'd be happy to work on developing this soundtrack, I'll see what I can do with it - thanks for the feedback!

The drums would be easy to change (thanks for pointing that out), and I have a few ideas about making the guitars sound less over-repetitive - as well as recording better takes and polishing it in general.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:08 pm »
I love everything in that track except for the drum intro and the short drum stings at the end of each phrase, specifically the sting that you use for the entire first half. Drum stings can sound ugly even when done by the best bands, and here they sound awful and artificial. You seem to use them a lot in the tracks you've done for UFO:AI and they always drag the whole thing down a little bit.

Also, the guitars right after the intro get a little bit repetitive before the lead kicks in. One or two fewer phrases there would be better.

On a more positive note, it has the action-y vibe, the urgency, and even a touch of upbeatness here and there where the lead guitar goes high. The main riff is a little bit dark, but I like that. It would certainly be good to create an oppressive athmosphere.

Using the music in phrases would be awesome but I think it would probably be too much overhead for the coders to deal with.

I wholly agree. The music takes a good while to start up, but air combat will pretty much be in full-swing from the beginning. So if you cut to the chase faster I think it will fit the purpose a lot better.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 04:06:55 pm »
Here, is this a little better?

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ERc1i.ogg

I shortened it a bit, I've realized that air combat really shouldn't last too long, and if by chance it does it isn't any disaster for the tune to loop and play again.

You may notice in this version how the main melody is shortened at the end - I could also do this for the first part that repeats twice, if you guys think it would be better that way.

I didn't get to the drums yet, although it's in my personal TODO for this tune.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 04:13:24 pm »
It's a lot better if you ask me. I've tried looping it on itself, and I think that works out just fine.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 04:35:43 pm »
Do you hear any other parts of it that you think need attention?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 06:21:19 pm »
New track comment: You know what? I'm putting this on my regular playlist. Although I do look forward to the drum edit. ;)

It's already near-perfect for our air interceptions, and I highly encourage you to finish it.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 06:50:59 pm »
One slight niggle that stands out on repeated listenings -- the very first phrase transition where the main guitar riff kicks in sounds strange and abrupt, a little bit clunky so you can tell where it was edited together.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 12:47:34 am »
...and I highly encourage you to finish it.

Will do, I'm currently uploading a new version.

You know what? I'm putting this on my regular playlist.

Glad you like it, but a word of caution:  Don't over-play it over and over again excessively, or you may get it stuck in your head and become sick of it.

One slight niggle that stands out on repeated listenings...

My goodness, I fear I may already be too late...  :o

...the very first phrase transition where the main guitar riff kicks in sounds strange and abrupt, a little bit clunky so you can tell where it was edited together.

I've worked on this in the latest version - the original had many short clips slammed together with editing, the latest one I'm uploading now has longer, solid clips that aren't broken up and I think sound a little better.

Ah! It's done uploading:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ERc1j.ogg

I didn't test the link, please know if it didn't render or upload right, as I myself am now a little bit sick of it from working on it and playing it back over and over again in my DAW software.  Now I need a break...

Surrealistik

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 06:50:58 am »
I love the track, but to be completely honest, think that it'd be a lot more at home in a mega man game than UFO:AI.

To be more specific, it is entirely inconsistant in style with songs I feel to be definitive of Ufo:AI's atmosphere (current or desired) such as Alexfightmare and Psymong03 (as much as I like existing songs like Dawn, I have to admit, they don't belong).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:02:14 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:42 am »
very well done song - what was the license again you release your work under?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 01:40:11 pm »
oops! Once again, I forgot to attach a license.  Hang on a sec while I hop over to the CC website...

OK, will Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License work?  If not, I can pick another one.

Regarding the actual track, I'm still polishing a few parts here and there.  Also, as I said in the past, it would be nice to have more than one track, although I'll finish this one first before working on another one, although as I also said, any of the other musicians here are welcome to give it a shot as well.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »
OK, this one I'm kinda proud of:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ERc1k.ogg

I did some changes on how the drums sound, hopefully they sound less artificial now.

I also did some more work on the guitars, and added a slide to the end of one of the dual-lead parts to make it less monotonous.  If you guys think the slide doesn't work, I can take it back out.