project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I have models. What now?  (Read 5495 times)

FelixFelix

I have models. What now?
« on: July 30, 2007, 02:18:49 am »
Hi there,

i decided to model some stuff for this lovely project. After seven hours of modeling with Inivis AC3D i realize that the export-function seems not to be working. When i open the MD2 files, they are untextured and less fine then in the original source-file.
I am not a total pro, i just started, but i really would like to help with something...
Please tell me if i can continue using inivis and send them to you like this. I am also not sure if the textures are right or the scaling. But the stuff looks kinda sweet, i find. Would be a shame to throw this away...

Greatings

Felix

Hoehrer

I have models. What now?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:49:09 am »
I think the best way to exchange (unanimated -  Animated stuff is more tricky) 3D files is to use the .obj (Wavefront) format.
You don't need to bother with the md2-export, we can do that for you once the models are accepted for the project.
If you have any troubles with models just PM me.

Since I do not know AC3D I can only guess what happened in your md2 export, but that the exported md2 files are untextured might not be a problem at all. I think the textures might just not be loaded (i.e. The UV map is ok but not used with an image).
Also the md2 format does not support polygons with more than 3 vertices/edges (i.e. tris only) - this might be your "messed up" geometry, the exporter will most likely triangulated the mesh.

Concerning the quality of the model and texture I think that'll have to be checked by Winter. I suggest to post images of your models here and prepare to get critics :)

Cheers,
Werner

inquisiteur2

I have models. What now?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:02 am »
May I suggest that you post a few screenshots of your model since Winter is supposed to give his appreciation before including the model into the game.

(You may have to modify it first).

FelixFelix

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:21:35 pm »
Hi,

thanks for answering. Ok, will do. I will send in wavefront obj. I am still a little concerned since i tried to open my exported obj with blender today and the subdivision-level is still messed up.
I will send some pictures and a model to see if the compabiliy is ok. And i hope i can continue using inivis because its very easy to use. (Once you know how... Smile

Greatings

felix

FelixFelix

Upload problem
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:13:46 pm »
Hi,

want to but can not upload my obj file. He says that

Upload warning
".obj" is not a recommended image file format.

But i am one step closer to have my little asian diner table in the game :-)

Felix

Hoehrer

I have models. What now?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:22:19 pm »
Sorry, i accidentially edited your previous post ... here's what i wantet to answer:

thanks for answering. Ok, will do. I will send in wavefront obj. I am still a little concerned since i tried to open my exported obj with blender today and the subdivision-level is still messed up.

If I understand this right you have added some sort of non-destructive sub-division to your mesh and only the non-subdivided mesh is exported?

If that is the case you probably need to apply this "modifier" (or however it's called in your application before export.

I will send some pictures and a model to see if the compabiliy is ok.

The image http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Image:Th_asian_diner.gif looks nice, but i suspect you are using a bit too many polygons to get a simple table. Nice design though, I'll have a look at the model file and see if I can give you some tips to improve that :)

Also without some nice textures (which gan do wonders to fake/simulate high-resolution models) it'll be problematic to get this into the game without it looking out of place :(

And i hope i can continue using inivis because its very easy to use. (Once you know how... :)

I could say the same for Blender ;)

Concerning obj upload the wiki only allows upload of images. I suggest to use out path-tracker for that (zip up your files please). It is located here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157793&atid=805244
If that doesn't work you can also send it to me via mail.

Werner

FelixFelix

Sorry for all the problems...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:43:19 pm »
Hi Hoehrer

can t send you the file

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

hoehrer@jabber.org

normal?

Greatings

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I have models. What now?
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 03:47:02 pm »
Yes, normal. It is Jabber ID, not e-mail address.

Either Hoehrer will give you his address or you can always register on sourceforge (http://www.sf.net) and upload the stuff in our patch tracker here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157793&atid=805244

FelixFelix

I have models. What now?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:46 pm »
Thanks.

I actually work through the tutorials of gmax, it s easier. I really want to help you guys, but if you have to convert, retexture, and rescale my little diner tables, you will have actually more work than if you built it yourself.  :roll: Maybe in some hours first usable objects with acceptable poly and texture. Maybe only sizing will be a little problem. I ll see...

Kind regards

felix

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: I have models. What now?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 04:11:53 pm »
Quote from: "FelixFelix"
Hi there,

i decided to model some stuff for this lovely project. After seven hours of modeling with Inivis AC3D i realize that the export-function seems not to be working. When i open the MD2 files, they are untextured and less fine then in the original source-file.
I am not a total pro, i just started, but i really would like to help with something...
Please tell me if i can continue using inivis and send them to you like this. I am also not sure if the textures are right or the scaling. But the stuff looks kinda sweet, i find. Would be a shame to throw this away...

Greatings

Felix

I also use AC3D for converting the stuff to MD2.
In AC3D use an .jpg file for the texture.
export the md2 and load it in by the program QME ( its an free old program) , then export it as Q2 format md2.

Then the model is OK for using.

If you cant find the program QME anymore on the web, say it and I give you an link .

Willem

Hoehrer

I have models. What now?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 04:32:32 pm »
Yes, that's my jabber ID :) I think I need to add a note to that thing after all :D
If you still want to send the model - my email address is bill_spam2ATyahooDOTde (the "spam" is part of the address).

And as I said, let the conversion to md2 be our problem, it'll spare you some work ;)

Werner