project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: hospital icons wanted. (also discussion of hospital)  (Read 5855 times)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
hospital icons wanted. (also discussion of hospital)
« on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:18 pm »
icon request
The consensus in IRC today was that the hospital menu is a bit too multicoloured. I suggest we use some nice bichrome icons (like Blywulf came up with for the research menu recently). Here are the categories needing icons (and my suggestion for an image - though please use something else if you have a better idea).
-currently being healed: drip stand (you know, bag of saline on a pole)
-heavily wounded: three blood drips
-slightly wounded: one blood drip
-surgery: a scalpel (or maybe cyborg parts - I think that is what this is about)

discussion of hospital
Most people on IRC thought it would be good to have troops automatically healed after a mission. I suggest that this should be optional, but the default option should be heal least injured first. Any thoughts?

Wanderer

Re: hospital icons wanted. (also discussion of hospital)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:17:09 pm »
Quote from: "blondandy"

discussion of hospital
Most people on IRC thought it would be good to have troops automatically healed after a mission. I suggest that this should be optional, but the default option should be heal least injured first. Any thoughts?

Personally I'd heal the most heavily wounded first and keep my lightly wounded on deck until they got out.  I'd rather the guy with 2/3's his hp launch then the one with 2hps get caught in a base attack.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 09:55:44 pm »
OK, quick gimp for discussion:

(I realize I suck as an artist, someone like Blywulf would have to redo this)

In the lower right corner, we'd need a new legend of course.

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:23:56 pm »
I notice it says "Employee" in the legend. If that means that not only soldiers can get injured, it would be nice to have an indication whether Afra Awogbemi is a soldier or scientist &ca.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 08:46:57 am »
XaverXN:
I quite like your bandages with varying bloodspatter. Why not just go with that. It can always be changed if someone comes up with something better.

I heard (on IRC I think) that the hospital now handles all types of employee inpatients. Is this is because we are going to have scientists etc behaving like civilians during base attacks?

Offline Bonbadil

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:16:37 pm »
Another point we should think about is the influence of the number of hired medics on the speed of healing of employees.
The current formulas are :
if not in hospital : newHP = oldHP + 1
if in hospital : newHP = oldHP + 1 + EmployeePower * 10 / 100

We can also think about the lost of skills, ability, maximum HP or morale if a wounded employee is not admit in the hospital and healed by a medic...

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:48:45 pm »
Quote from: "Bonbadil"

What, the number of people currently being treated is irrelevant? In other words, 10 soldiers are healed as quickly as one, with say, one medic at work?

Well, I guess the bandages pics could be used until something better comes up.
If anyone of the devs is interested, here are the links to the big (unscaled) pics:
http://www.sr-welt.de/ufoai/blood.jpg
http://www.sr-welt.de/ufoai/blood2.jpg

Offline Bonbadil

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:31:36 pm »
Quote from: "XaverXN"
Quote from: "Bonbadil"

What, the number of people currently being treated is irrelevant? In other words, 10 soldiers are healed as quickly as one, with say, one medic at work?

Yes. From what I see of the code (and understand :) ), the number of medics is not used, and the number of people currently being treated is irrelevant.
I would like implement this, but we must first find the correct formula. Maybe a medic could look after 5 employees (newHP = oldHP + 1 + EmployeePower * 10 / 100), the others employees at hospital will heal slower (newHP = oldHP + 1 + EmployeePower * 5 / 100) and the wounded employees not at hospital will heal as now (newHP = oldHP + 1).
For the last case, we cound think about lose of skills, also.

Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 10:52:43 pm »
It depends on how you think about healing.  A hospital could hold X # of patients (let's round it to 10).

One medic, or ten, could handle all these patients.  However, the more medics, the more special care they could get.  Bandages changed more often, what not.  But the basic 'rest, sanitation, and proper diet' will do a lot for them as well.  Of course, I really wanna start seeing wounds like ripping off a model's arm, but hey, that can wait for AI 2... XD

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:32:39 am »
Wanderer, I see your point. But I think a penalty for understaffed hospitals would be fair: One medic can't treat 10 people as good as one.
One the other hand, if I understand you right, you'd want a kind of bonus for well staffed ones, so we have them same idea basically. Its just a question of scaling/where the 'zero-point' is set.

the number of medics is not used

Well, what is 'employee power' then?

And is there any point to writing EP*10/100 instead of EP/10?