project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Referential Material  (Read 3432 times)

Surrealistik

Referential Material
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:28:55 pm »
Music from the original X-Com is listed and downloadable at the URL below. The battlescape tracks are precisely the kind of scores we should look to produce for UFO:AI. Anyone interested in composing for the game is advised to first listen to them, and take note of their qualities.

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1music.html

Wanderer

Re: Referential Material
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:45:29 pm »
Quote from: "Surrealistik"
Music from the original X-Com is listed and downloadable at the URL below. These are precisely the kind of scores we should look to produce for UFO:AI. Anyone interested in composing for the game is advised to first listen to them (especially the battlescape ones), and take note of their qualities.

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1music.html

Most of this stuff sounds like 'attack of the 80s'.... and is highly repetitive.  I'd disagree with 'precisely' these types.

Surrealistik

Referential Material
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:01:32 am »
Yes, I can definitely agree with you with respect to some of the tracks (geoscape ones especially), but the battlescape ones are superb (though they may stand to benefit from additional variation), and are models worthy of reference and emulation.

Alex

Referential Material
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:14:39 am »
It's kind of the feel I tried to impose on the few tracks I submitted.

The original X-Com soundtracks were pretty good for their day, despite the differences in technology.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Referential Material
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:05:52 am »
They are a bit retro, but I quite like them as in-game music. Maybe this is just because I am an old git.

Alex

Referential Material
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 06:50:20 am »
The intercept music reminds me of a retro manga-ish arcade game.  Cue people jumping in the air ala Strong Bad Email: Japanese Cartoon.