project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: All Grenade, All the time  (Read 7904 times)

Wanderer

All Grenade, All the time
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:51:31 pm »
Anyone else for amusement value done an all grenade squad?  Smokes, Plasmas, Frags, Infernos, flashbangs...

Grab your highest TU soldiers, load 'em up with grenades, and clear rooms without ever firing a shot... though lots of smoke. XD

These squads are rediculously nasty, and tend to be quite effective.  I've even used them on Very Hard to good effect unless the board is a sniper heaven (IE: Dam).  The only problem... Lots and lots of dead civvies. XD  Oops!  Run you fools!

Offline Stalins Organ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:28:34 pm »
I remember people doing similar things with X-com - using jsut pistols or jsut grenades.

It's for those who have no empathy with their little pixellated people!! ;)

Surrealistik

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:51 pm »
I have, the strategy is highly effective precisely because some of the most powerful weaponry and equipment happen to be grenades. Smoke grenades help you compensate for their short ranged aspect, so it's viable (if not as effective) even on largely open maps. Personally though, I prefer all knife squads.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:16:27 am »
Gosh, whats next?

Anyone likes to strangle them with his all skipping rope squads?

Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:29:29 am »
Quote from: "XaverXN"
Gosh, whats next?

Anyone likes to strangle them with his all skipping rope squads?

You make the soldier models of 18yo girls in catholic school uniforms with mary janes and skipping ropes, I assure you the rest of my military will rust in peace.  We'll 'cute' them to death! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!.

Yum.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:19:09 pm »
the best guns are the particle weapons. One problem with particle weapons is that all armour is hard against it.

Plasma makes a mess of armour. Using a few plasma grenades to soften your targets and then finishing with particles works nicely. Indeed, a particle pistol keeps your troop light. accuracy isnt very important, when you are very close. a grenadier with pistol is a great use of a troop who is fast but lacks strength/accuracy.

Surrealistik

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »
the best guns are the particle weapons. One problem with particle weapons is that all armour is hard against it.

That weakness is pretty much irrelevant when a particle beam blast usually ends up killing its victim outright.

Plasma makes a mess of armour. Using a few plasma grenades to soften your targets and then finishing with particles works nicely. Indeed, a particle pistol keeps your troop light. accuracy isnt very important, when you are very close. a grenadier with pistol is a great use of a troop who is fast but lacks strength/accuracy.

Lol. Plasma grenades don't soften your targets so much as splatter them on the walls. Most powerful weapon in the game. I definitely agree with you on the advantages and attractiveness of the plasma pistol. It is light, decent at range, packs a punch, has autofire, features relatively cheap TU costs to use, and allows you to use grenades or some other item in hand without accuracy penalties, saving you the TU costs of swapping the gear in later.

Woreczko

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 08:48:20 pm »
Quote from: "blondandy"
the best guns are the particle weapons.

True.
One problem with particle weapons is that all armour is hard against it. Plasma makes a mess of armour. Using a few plasma grenades to soften your targets and then finishing with particles works nicely.  

This problem isn`t IMHO very important, because armours don`t provide any significant protection vs particle weapons. Non damaged armour will neglect, say, 3% of damage. Battered armour at only 33% of "health" will neglect 1% of damage. Neither will help you very much :)

Indeed, a particle pistol keeps your troop light. accuracy isnt very important, when you are very close. a grenadier with pistol is a great use of a troop who is fast but lacks strength/accuracy.

Well, since weight isn`t impelemented, a soldier with plasma blaster, heavy armour and backpack gull of grenades can be as fast, as the one with just a knife. The only benefit from using a pistol is it`s small size - you can hide it in a holster, while wielding bigger weapon which is not suitable to close combat (like grenade launcher). It`s faster to draw a pistol from a holster, than reload a GL with flechettes. Small pistols (not SMGs or plasma ones) can also be used off-hand (e.g. with GL in the other hand)

PS: I didn`t notice previous answer, so sorry for a repetitive post  :oops: