project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: use of stun rod  (Read 7985 times)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
use of stun rod
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:42:30 am »
equip a soldier with a belt full of flashbangs and a stun rod in hand. wait until you are reasonably sure there is only one specimen in the vicinity. use flashbang. run up to foe and use stun rod

<edit 2>

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Melee_weapon_table

The stun rod does not hold much charge (ammo) and you can give more stun per shot if you use single charges.

you can give more stun per TU if you use double charges.
</edit>

save 14 TU. this will allow you to retrieve a flashbang (2 TU) and roll it (12 TU). next round continue poking your foe with rod until he is stunned.

take foe home and observe.   :)

ab.er.rant

Re: use of stun rod
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:15:20 am »
I just maneuver my melee guy in and stun twice... done. Don't need flash bangs. And I don't bother waiting mostly. They seem to stay stunned for at least 3-4 rounds.

ufogio

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:12:33 pm »
I usually stun bloodspiders, which do less damage (they are unable to kill a soldiers with a single shot) ad in general are less dangerous.

Serrax

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:56:16 pm »
Up to now, I wasn't able to stun any alien completely - although I hit some of them twice with the stun rod.

I still takes me a further 'conventional' hit (Laser, Bolter, Sniper) to get them down.

cu

ufogio

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:46:26 am »
It depends... usually aliens without armor are stunned after one or two double-charges.
Also, it is easier to stun the last alien in a map or the ones who are panicked.
But pay attention if they have a grenade in their hands!!
Anyway you have had some ideas in this topic... you can use flashbang granades or stun bloodspiders.

Vyper

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:59:15 pm »
   I haven't seemed to have to much issue using the stun rods so far. i have yet to not stun an alien in 2 stuns or less. granted i am on easy setting since I just started playing.

Once I got to the bunker map a new use for the stun rods came apparent. I had Civs blocking my path into the interior base and after 2 rounds of waiting they wouldn't move. I moved up one of my 2 capture troops. (stun rod / laser pistol w/ gas grenades) up and simply stunned them. This allowed my troops to step right over them and continue the advance. Since there were 2, now prone and senseless, noncoms laying there I left a troop behind to guard them and continued on. At mission end they were still stunned, or at least prone, some 5-6 round later and counted among the "saved" column.
   I have thought seriously about stuning more civs just to keep them from blindly running toward the firing aliens as this seems to be the prime tactic they use.
   IE> I find a somewhat sheltered Civ in a building toward the rear. Stun him and he's atleast out of my hair for a few rounds. I tend to advance fairly fast (no RF or single) until I run into massed resistance so there should be little danger of any sneaky aliens getting to them before I have cleared the area.

As a side note.
How many of you continue to use stun rods after you have a good supply of gas grenades?
I know the gas grenades have the nasty side effect of hurting or killing injured humans in the area so I have kept my 2 capture equipped troops using (Stun rod / laser pistol) for the moment. 

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:20:22 pm »
At the moment, after being stunned, they do not get up again , as they did in XCOM.

gas grenades are better.

stunning civvies (and sometimes your own soldiers) can be handy as it can stop them getting killed.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:09:51 pm »
One of my guys had a Heavy Lazer when he panicked,
he killed a Civi and squad-mate before I thought to take him down with the stun rod.

That's the last time I'll forget to check my men into the hospital.