project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Symbols for the geoscape  (Read 67015 times)

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2007, 11:14:11 am »
Not true, the 3d geoscape should (if not yet, then at some point) feature a flexible view of the icons.

It is already implemented, you don't always see models from the top. If the model is on the side of the globe, you see it from the side.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:32 am »
I see we still only have 2 geoscape icons (at least in 2.2).

Current list:

Harvesting/Terror missions:

UFO crash missions:

UFO landing missions:

Storyline missions:

Generic missions:

Am i correct in understanding that every type of marker on the geoscape might come in either the "Storyline" or "Generic" version?

Is this still a complete list of the geoscape indicators we will need?

In addition there are, of course, bases: PHALANX, alien...
and did i see somewhere that subverted human locations will sometimes be in play?

What about Aliens invading a PHALANX base? Will the mission be automatically triggered, or will there be a geoscape icon which needs to be responded to?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2008, 07:20:38 pm »
I see we still only have 2 geoscape icons (at least in 2.2).

As far as I know, we've got icons for PHALANX base, alien base, aircraft, and two mission icons. We still need loads more, though.

Am i correct in understanding that every type of marker on the geoscape might come in either the "Storyline" or "Generic" version?

No. Storyline missions are special and should have their own special icon so that they are never confused with anything else.

No, I'll post one up later.

and did i see somewhere that subverted human locations will sometimes be in play?

Maybe, we don't have anything definite in mind for that.

What about Aliens invading a PHALANX base? Will the mission be automatically triggered, or will there be a geoscape icon which needs to be responded to?

As far as I'm concerned, the mission should be auto-triggered. The aliens aren't going to sit around for a few hours waiting for you to do something when they've succesfully landed at your base. If base attacks were NOT instantly triggered, it would damage their sense of urgency.

Regards,
Winter

SpaceWombat

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2008, 07:33:02 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, the mission should be auto-triggered. The aliens aren't going to sit around for a few hours waiting for you to do something when they've succesfully landed at your base. If base attacks were NOT instantly triggered, it would damage their sense of urgency.

I support this but there is one problem: Will the the squad/soldiers in this base be able to grab some equipment before the mission starts or is it necessary to take this into account before an ufo is able to land near you? If I employed 10 soldiers in this base it would be unrealistic to handle two of them as civis. I guess I'm raising a complicated matter.  ::)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2008, 07:53:35 pm »
As far as I know, we've got icons for PHALANX base, alien base, aircraft, and two mission icons.

I only see 2 in /models/geoscape/
...the same 2 that i've only seen in the game, an alien icon and a PHALAX base icon

No. Storyline missions are special and should have their own special icon so that they are never confused with anything else.

I understand the importance of making storyline missions obviously distinct.  However if there are (for instance) Storyline Terrorsite missions, Storyline Crashed Ship missions, and Storyline Alien Base missions etc., the best approach would probably be to start with the standard icon for those two things, and than add an additional, consistent element to indicate the "Storyline-ness" of that particular item.

Thanks, i'd like to take a shot at designing the whole series of icons, once we get the whole list.  It's easiest to make things obvious and clear when you are aware of the big picture.

Also i believe it would be best if the orientation of the icon always pointed to the top of the screen, not towards the north pole.  This would help the player "read" the icons since he would never see them sideways or upside-down.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2008, 08:05:37 pm »
I understand the importance of making storyline missions obviously distinct.  However if there are (for instance) Storyline Terrorsite missions, Storyline Crashed Ship missions, and Storyline Alien Base missions etc., the best approach would probably be to start with the standard icon for those two things, and than add an additional, consistent element to indicate the "Storyline-ness" of that particular item.

No, storyline missions are special and separate from the standard missions and should not be associated with them. They will be scripted rather than random, and their objectives will be far more complex than the random missions. The player will know the context of any storyline mission that pops up -- trying to categorise them via icons would be detrimental and a waste of effort.

Also i believe it would be best if the orientation of the icon always pointed to the top of the screen, not towards the north pole.  This would help the player "read" the icons since he would never see them sideways or upside-down.

I don't know how feasible this is, since it would require dynamically rotating the icons. One of the coders will have to weigh in.

Regards,
Winter

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2008, 05:44:27 am »

don't forget...

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2008, 03:06:22 am »
don't forget...

I had, thanks for reminding me.

List of needed geoscape icons:

Harvesting/Terror Missions:
No fixed idea, but I'd like the current one to be replaced at some point by something better.

UFO Crash Missions:
Crashed partly-buried UFO with UFO bits strewn around.

Storyline Missions:
No fixed idea. Something to mark these missions out as important and unique, but doesn't directly brand them as plot chunks.

I don't know if there are more needed at the moment, not too up to date on the status of the icons, can anyone update me if I left anything out?

Regards,
Winter

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:29 am »
I don't know if there are more needed at the moment

I'd really like to know about all the ones that you think you'll ever need, so i can do them all in a batch.

I presume "alien base" needs to be added to the ultimate list.

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2008, 08:23:55 am »
Harvesting/Terror Missions:
No fixed idea, but I'd like the current one to be replaced at some point by something better.
Then you probably would like the base model to be replaced too: this is almost the same than terror mission model.

I presume "alien base" needs to be added to the ultimate list.
I already see a "alien base" in base/models/geoscape" (alienbase.*). I don't know what is the status of this model, however.

I don't know if there are more needed at the moment, not too up to date on the status of the icons, can anyone update me if I left anything out?
Maybe we need a symbol for "alien base under construction" ?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2008, 11:10:20 am »
Maybe we need a symbol for "alien base under construction" ?

I don't see why. I shouldn't think those come into it at any point, if only because it would constitute a whole lot more mapping work. There were once plans to include PHALANX facilities that were under construction to the base defence map, but we just don't have the tiles, so that idea was canned.

As for the icons, what about XVI propagation?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2008, 02:34:04 pm »
I don't see why. I shouldn't think those come into it at any point, if only because it would constitute a whole lot more mapping work. There were once plans to include PHALANX facilities that were under construction to the base defence map, but we just don't have the tiles, so that idea was canned.

As for the icons, what about XVI propagation?

Yes . . . We also need some kind of map overlay that graphically shows XVI spread, which can then be slowly revealed centred on alien bases, a bit like the biomass in UFO: Aftermath. Not exactly an icon but certainly falls under geoscape art.

Regards,
Winter

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2008, 02:36:38 pm »
About that, there were some ideas on the mailing list. Basically a bitmap that stores the level of XVI spread per pixel. It sounded okay to me, but I don't know what you had in mind for it.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2008, 03:09:16 am »
About that, there were some ideas on the mailing list.

Link?  I can't find your mailing list... and i don't really understand how this will fit into the game.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2008, 12:50:19 pm »
It was never more than the concept I just wrote. There's nothing to look at.

As for how it will fit into the game, the XVI overlay should show areas with higher and lower concentrations of XVI infection on the geoscape. Read the article on CVI Census to get a general idea.