project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Symbols for the geoscape  (Read 66607 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2007, 11:44:03 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
but i don't want a too colorful geoscape - that would make it look like a kid painting program and not a serious game - imo

I agree, and in my idea the icons tend to stick to darker, muted colours -- this will also enhance the gritty feel of the game.

Regards,
Winter

Alex

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2007, 03:24:43 am »
I like gritty...  My concern was "bland".  I'm sorry I can't create anything better myself, or I would do...  But opinions were asked, and I said the first thing that jumped into my mind.

I'm sure you guys will come up with a great solution, considering the artistic talent we have here.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2007, 01:37:16 pm »
Cant you make something that's pops up from the surface, when you click it with the mouse or something ?
and in the first instance you have an blinking point on the surface or what ever.

Willem

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2007, 01:48:43 pm »
No, I think the symbols should be present by default, just a lot smaller than in that screenshot. Ideally you'd have to zoom in a bit to see it better, but you should still be able to select it without problems when zoomed out all the way.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2007, 09:00:32 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
No, I think the symbols should be present by default, just a lot smaller than in that screenshot. Ideally you'd have to zoom in a bit to see it better, but you should still be able to select it without problems when zoomed out all the way.

It would be interesting to be able to 'pop up' a bunch of info for a mission, though -- such as terrain, estimated number of enemies, races spotted, number of civilians threatened . . .

Here's an idea, but it may be too elaborate to implement code-wise:

The geoscape doesn't feature individual icons for missions, only 'hotspot' icons on which you can get further information by clicking on them, which pops up a little window in a corner of the geoscape containing the specific mission icon (at a good size) and a short bit of relevant mission information.

Opinions welcome.

Regards,
Winter

Wanderer

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2007, 09:22:50 pm »
Quote from: "Winter"
It would be interesting to be able to 'pop up' a bunch of info for a mission, though -- such as terrain, estimated number of enemies, races spotted, number of civilians threatened . . .
(snip)
Regards,
Winter

One thing that would be nice is knowing before you get there if snipers (and similar) are wasted.  Nothing like showing up at the dam with a bunch of flamethrowers, or at farm08 with 3 snipers.  A general terrain idea would be very welcome.  The additional information wouldn't hurt either. "Ah, dammit, it's dragonliches... get out the flamethrowers... and stun grenades... stupid civilians always run where we want to grenade and there's 3000 of 'em."

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2007, 09:25:04 pm »
there is a gameplay proposal in our wiki that BTAxis has written - go and read it ;-)

Sectoid

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:24 pm »

That would be a cool feature.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2007, 10:26:35 pm »
Don't you have satellite's flying around the geoscape where you can log in when it has detect an anomaly, or something and ask what he has detect.

Pffft. :? an million possibility's

Willem

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2007, 11:29:45 pm »
Here's an idea, but it may be too elaborate to implement code-wise:

The geoscape doesn't feature individual icons for missions, only 'hotspot' icons on which you can get further information by clicking on them, which pops up a little window in a corner of the geoscape containing the specific mission icon (at a good size) and a short bit of relevant mission information.

I think this would be very nice, but I also think the information should be very superficial - nothing in the way of the briefings, or said briefings would hardly serve a purpose anymore. I'm thinking of simple things things like mission type, country affected by the mission, day/night status and time elapsed since the mission appeared.

zodde

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2007, 09:21:20 am »
On thing regarding the Day/Night status.

It should be Day or Night depending on whenever your troops arrive on the location. This was the case in UFO - XCOM. However this is not yet the case in UFO AI. It seams that the maps are preprogrammed in day or night mode. However I suppose this is something that will be "solved" when the maps are randomly generated.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2007, 10:46:46 am »
We have day and night versions of the maps right now. In theory, the correct map should be selected when the mission is started. This might currently be broken, though.

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2007, 08:51:32 pm »
I know the icons are supposed to represent a 'gritty' feel, but I've found it hard to see some of the icons on the geoscape - ship models in particular. Is it possible to show a brighter coloured circle around these to denote enemy/ally? It would be neat if more information, like fuel and health, were also represented by coloured arcs around these circles.

(Personally, I like abstracted icons better, but that's just me. :P)

Actually, I wonder how much benefit there is by using actual 3D models for the ships. Textured sprites might work just as well, considering only the top of the aircraft are ever seen.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
Actually, I wonder how much benefit there is by using actual 3D models for the ships. Textured sprites might work just as well, considering only the top of the aircraft are ever seen.

Not true, the 3d geoscape should (if not yet, then at some point) feature a flexible view of the icons.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2007, 09:50:25 pm »
Ah, okay then. Google Earth Geoscape, anyone? :P