project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Symbols for the geoscape  (Read 67609 times)

zodde

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 10:27:41 pm »
I  have followed this thread for a while now, and when I saw the screenshots of the "icon" on the geoscape I just wanteed to say what I thought...

I my opinoin the "icons/symbols" present in 2.1.1 are more than enough to tell me what is going on. The little red cross for reported alien activity. A red square could be a Alien Base.

I think theese icons should be simple and remain its size independent on how much you zoom in the geoscape. They do not need to be in 3D. Keep them in 2D.

Wanderer

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:01 pm »
Quote from: "zodde"
I[n] my opinoin the "icons/symbols" present in 2.1.1 are more than enough to tell me what is going on. The little red cross for reported alien activity. A red square could be a Alien Base.

I think theese icons should be simple and remain its size independent on how much you zoom in the geoscape. They do not need to be in 3D. Keep them in 2D.

Enough, yes, but not pretty.  It's the little things that you can make you feel like you made progress, even if you've altered 20,000 lines of code, a simple 'ooooooh' on the screen can feel like you've finally made some progress.

I don't care which way they go with it, personally.  I think the size is a bit much, overall, when dealing with nearby events (crash a UFO near a terror site that's outside your/their base...).  I'm sure that will be tweaked however, with more detail visible when you zoom in but you're able to select things intelligently.

zodde

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 11:00:32 pm »
But thats also a thing, I dont want to have to zoom in on the geoscape to pick a mission or to know what kind of mission it is. It should be clearly represented in all zoom levels..

Alteast in my humble opinion..  :)

I actually think Geoscape is one of the more completed part if the game, atleast in the missiontypes available. I do want to be able to intercept UFO:s. Have real crashsites with randomly generated maps.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 07:26:17 am »
Quote from: "zodde"
I actually think Geoscape is one of the more completed part if the game, atleast in the missiontypes available. I do want to be able to intercept UFO:s. Have real crashsites with randomly generated maps.

this is already in huge parts implemented - but during this work Kracken also fixed the 3d geoscape - so the need for 3d models arrised with that. the 2d geoscape will keep the normal mission symbol and the normal base symbol. the models are only for 3d geoscape - and this will always be an option

zodde

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 01:07:09 pm »
Ah, Ok I get it :)

Pherhaps there should be two kind of Icons. One when you are quite zoomed out. This one should be quite simple, and one when you zoom in closer. Both icons should indicate what kind of mission it is.

On the screenshots I saw on the earlier page, the icons looks extremely large and covers hughe areas of the map.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 07:47:05 pm »
Here we go again. ;)

Try this one.

Link :

http://www.sitters-electronics.nl/md2/models/sym2.zip

Willem

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 10:54:44 pm »
Quote from: "sitters"
Here we go again. ;)

Try this one.

Link :

http://www.sitters-electronics.nl/md2/models/sym2.zip

Willem

Very nice. I have only one more suggestion: Make the arrows smaller and shorter. We don't want a huge circle which creates lots of empty space -- just something small to make the centre disc stand out, a bit like your previous model, with the arrows in between to give it a bit of character.

Regards,
Winter

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 07:56:40 am »
winter you drive me crazy. :)

Try this one ?

Link :

http://www.sitters-electronics.nl/md2/models/sym3.zip

Willem

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 01:01:45 pm »
Here we have one with the kerrblade (Maybe one times redesign that thing).

Link :

http://www.sitters-electronics.nl/md2/models/sym4.zip

Willem

Blywulf

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 03:29:39 pm »
IMO The color of the round shape with the Kerrblade on it should be different. Otherwise both symbols (the one with alien face and the Kerrblade) will look the same at first glance.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »
Quote from: "sitters"
winter you drive me crazy. :)

Try this one ?

Link :

http://www.sitters-electronics.nl/md2/models/sym3.zip

Willem

Works for me! It's very nice, we should use it.

As for the Kerrblade, please move it so that the blade falls across the icon diagonally, with the tip at the top right. Perhaps a large blood spatter (as if seen from directly above) in the bottom right corner.

A different background colour is definitely a good idea. Try a deep, dark red-purple. Dark enough not to interfere with the colour of the blood.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2007, 07:30:16 am »
ok, accepted as final - commited to trunk - thanks sitters

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 08:44:38 am »
Ok here the dark purple red version.

Willem

Blywulf

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2007, 10:36:54 am »
I'm not sure it works... I think all the Geoscape icons should be simplified to the max. Right now they look like thumbnails. You can see the purple dot but that's it. You cant really tell what sort of a symbol is located in the center. That Kerrblade is barely visible but changing the background color wont help.
I'd suggest getting rid of all the details from the texture of the center element of the icon. Use large shapes and a single color only. It will make the icons easy to distinguish from one another while keeping the original design of the symbols intact.

Sitters - sorry for messing with your pics without permission but that was the best way for me to illustrate my thoughts.

Here's an alternative design of the terror symbol.

and here's why I think it would work better than the previous one:

Even though the icon is small you can still tell that it's indicating a terror strike. The Kerrblades are still visible although they look like an 'x'. That's a minor issue though... and to tell you the truth, the purple color of the icon itself would do the trick as well.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2007, 12:55:58 pm »
Quote from: "Blywulf"
I'm not sure it works... I think all the Geoscape icons should be simplified to the max. Right now they look like thumbnails. You can see the purple dot but that's it. You cant really tell what sort of a symbol is located in the center. That Kerrblade is barely visible but changing the background color wont help.
I'd suggest getting rid of all the details from the texture of the center element of the icon. Use large shapes and a single color only. It will make the icons easy to distinguish from one another while keeping the original design of the symbols intact.

Sitters - sorry for messing with your pics without permission but that was the best way for me to illustrate my thoughts.

Here's an alternative design of the terror symbol.

and here's why I think it would work better than the previous one:

Even though the icon is small you can still tell that it's indicating a terror strike. The Kerrblades are still visible although they look like an 'x'. That's a minor issue though... and to tell you the truth, the purple color of the icon itself would do the trick as well.

I am fully agreed with you, I say it a long time ago, an symbol must be an symbol and have an very simple form and easy to recognize.

But the game is played by the rules of winter, maybe he likes your idea.

Willem