project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How you can help to speed up the next release?  (Read 38401 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How you can help to speed up the next release?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 01:21:05 am »
What do you mean, "fully functional"? We already have working interceptions in that it's possible to shoot down UFOs, though if I have anything to do with it the mechanics will drastically change in the future (but not anytime soon).

Ildamos

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 11:43:55 pm »
I gave away copies of the game to my friend to spread the word about this freeware and the feedback I got was there were no interceptions.

There was also a thread somewhere here about "where are the ufos?", which further validated their claims.

I am now officially confused. There are interceptions? If so, I'll install the game within the day, if someone replies.

About my query, are there screenshots that detail the aliens? All I see are models. (It'd be better if I see them ingame.) Thanks.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 12:06:22 am »
If you spread 2.1.1, then I guess you're right about there not being UFOs. You might want to wait for 2.2, which should be released soon. Or you can grab a beta installer right now. The final release should be fairly close to the current betas. You can get them here.

About the aliens, all we have is the models. What more were you expecting to see? Or do you mean you want to see how the models look ingame?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:08:47 am by BTAxis »

Ildamos

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 08:36:45 pm »
What do you mean, "fully functional"? We already have working interceptions in that it's possible to shoot down UFOs,

I replied to that above. And then you say

f you spread 2.1.1, then I guess you're right about there not being UFOs.

Of course I gave away that version. I don't give away betas in fear my friends might badmouth bugs. Your first question therefore is somewhat perplexing.

Also why all these questions? Your "What more..." strikes me as hostile. I just want to help with 2D art for your web site. For free. If you do not want it, it's fine with me.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 08:47:23 pm »
Sorry about that. I'm so used to playing the 2.2 beta that I forget many people are still using 2.1.1.

As for my questions, I'm trying to figure out what you mean. You say you want to see screenshots of the aliens, but then you say that all you see are models. Isn't that what you wanted?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 10:35:03 am »
I looked at the articles and they are about research. May I do some alien paintings?

What we really need is paintings to go with that research, to show in art what the research is about. However, if you really want to paint the aliens, then go ahead, we can probably use it somewhere.

Are there no close up screenshots of the various alien species?

As BTAxis said, that doesn't make much sense. A screenshot is a screenshot. You can find the gallery here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/game-characters/

If you mean paintings, then no, we don't have paintings of every species.

Regards,
Winter

Ildamos

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 05:02:45 pm »
@BTAxis: No problem.

@BTAxis and Winter: Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was ingame screenshots showing aliens and humans in a firefight. I am particularly curious about those hulking things and that spider drone. This way I could see size comparisons and other details not apparent in model screenshots where the races are just standing with arms away from their torsos.

@Winter: Ah. So you want art for the research topics only? Where will my art be placed (if you guys will approve of it)? And yes it's free but all I ask is giving credit to me for creating it. (like placing a popup "Created by: Artist's Name" everytime someone hovers their cursor on the art.) Is this possible?

Ehm, research is boring but I'll make that "injector" thing that powers the ufos if you want. (just give me rough descriptions so I'll have a rough idea of what you guys want.

Late reply; sorry about this. Work, RL, etc.

More power to the project!
Ildamos

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 06:45:57 pm »
And yes it's free but all I ask is giving credit to me for creating it. (like placing a popup "Created by: Artist's Name" everytime someone hovers their cursor on the art.) Is this possible?

No, sorry, this is not possible. we can of course add you to the contributors list on the website - and if you send a patch for the sequence script (base/ufos/seq_credits.ufo) we can also add you here, but there will be no tooltips.

best regards
martin

Ildamos

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 03:13:52 am »
Ah. Darn. No problem though; I'll just put a small signature on the picture then.

Btw, solid writing in the wiki. Who made that? I've been doing some reading and the alien descriptions and the background story are solid! Good work!  ;D

Offline qubodup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 07:31:41 am »
There are several things you can do to speed up the release.
First of all head over to the wiki and have a look at the TODO-list

other task you can do:
  • we need reports for maps. Please check whether there are any glitches in the maps right now. Missing models, unreachable areas, and so on... Please submit screenshots of the problems. Use "developer 1" (type this into the console) to show missing models in console and send these strings, too
  • the best would be to send a fixed map :-)
  • check the wiki for open translations or spellcheck already translated articles
  • found a bug? add it to the bug tracker
  • opengl problem? e.g. black geoscape or wrong textures on some models? use r_checkerror cvar and set it to 1 - report the console output (ufoconsole.log - see faq)
  • ... maybe this list is going to be extended - but check back the TODO in our wiki if you wanna help.
It's a very good thing you have this thread here. You should include the changes I made for easier access to other parts of the project pages though. (I also fixed a link) Quote this post to see the bbcode for the following:

There are several things you can do to speed up the release.
First of all head over to the wiki and have a look at the TODO-list

other task you can do:
  • We need reports for maps. Please check whether there are any glitches in the maps right now. Missing models, unreachable areas, and so on... Please submit screenshots of the problems. Use "developer 1" (type this into the console) to show missing models in console and send these strings, too
  • The best would be to send a fixed map :-)
  • Check the wiki for open translations or spellcheck already translated articles
  • Found a bug? add it to the bug tracker!
  • Opengl problem? e.g. black geoscape or wrong textures on some models? use r_checkerror cvar and set it to 1 - report the console output (ufoconsole.log - see faq)
  • ... maybe this list is going to be extended - but check back the TODO-list in our wiki if you wanna help.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:36:51 am by qubodup »

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 05:50:46 am »
The TODO-list has not art items for 2.3.

Offline zyrano

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 10:08:58 pm »
Hello,

I would like to support you but there are a lot of open topics and I don't know what of them to do.
I've never coded C/C++ (sry, only Java), but I got some (little) experience with Hibernate and in building plugins for eclipse.
I'm specialized in algorithms (there are people who like complexity theory ;-)). So if you have use for this, I can try about this.
Otherwise I can do some translations.

Greetings zyrano

Offline zyrano

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »
Is there another account needed for editing articles and so on? When I try to work on the translations in a different tab, it says that login is needed (Cookies are accepted, using Firefox on Ubuntu Linux 7.10).

zyrano

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 10:56:22 pm »
Yes, to edit the wiki you have to have a wiki account, which is different from your forum account.

Starship_Yard

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »
Where or how are we allowed to edit in the Wiki?  I would like to start working on the Interceptors and UFO's section, adding in pages for the Stingrays, etc. and putting in any firm information that is available on them.

Brett