project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Destroyable Objects  (Read 7725 times)

RedMage

Destroyable Objects
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:57:14 am »
I wish that later versions will have destructibale objects. And make the mechanics like XCOM: Apocalyse. Where a destroyed lower wall will slowly make the upper floors collapse.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:05:20 am »
Yup, nice idea, feel free to prepare and send a patch.

Offline breversa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:32:50 am »
Nival's Silent Storm had a very good physical engine, but I have no clue whether it's available or not (I don't think it is).

What's more, I think I've understood that no engine change is planned in the near or not-so-near future. :)

inquisiteur2

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:33:04 pm »
Yup, nice idea, feel free to prepare and send a patch.

To be honest I don't really think that a patch would be enough for that  :shock:

Offline breversa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:42:59 pm »
I guess that's Zenerka's way of saying "Why don't you GET INVOLVED into doing/helping us do it ?" :)

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:00:32 pm »
Yep, exactly, breversa.

Dwarden

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 04:39:51 pm »
i agree that Silent Storm and Hammer&Sickle got some great features like ability to climb up on objects then thru holes in ceiling etc ...

Dwarden

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:00:35 pm »
i just realized you can shoot thru windows ... in

if rocket projectile hits woodenwall then swap the woodednwall for woodenwall with 'windows' like properties and hole texture ...

windows with glass which can be shoot off should be possible in Q2
http://www.gamedesign.net/node/20/#18

btw. is there will to utilize most of changes done to Q2 engine by others Q2engine mods ?

especially Qfusion http://sourceforge.net/projects/l33t/
http://hkitchen.quakesrc.org/

and EGL http://egl.quakedev.com/files/egl-v0.3.1-stable-src.zip
http://egl.quakedev.com/about/

and if You need theirs authors may help You to solve some issues ...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 08:25:57 pm »
Quote from: "Dwarden"
i just realized you can shoot thru windows

you have destroyable windows - or did i get you wrong?

Quote from: "Dwarden"
btw. is there will to utilize most of changes done to Q2 engine by others Q2engine mods ?

yes - and we did that already for some changes

Dwarden

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »
yes i said i realized it ;) (improvements against old techdemo version is outstanding :)

anyway i was only saying it because of similarity with destroyable walls (single square or it's surrounding)...

(ofc colapsing stuff after etc is totally different story)

adamssl

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:51:55 am »
Is it really so difficult to add the ability to punch a hole through a wall? I can't imagine it'd be that tough.

Off the top of my head I'd imagine what you'd need to do to add support for knocking a hole in a wall...

1) Add "min_damage_to_destroy" variable to all barriers
   - eg, 10 on a fence, 100 on wooden wall, 250 on concrete wall (arbitrary numbers, not real game values)
   - In that way, if a rifle has a damage range of 5-50, it *may* knock a hole in a fence, a grenade with a damage range of 50-300 will always knock a hole in a fence, typically in a wood wall, and occassionally in a concrete wall

2) When the barrier registers a hit (which is something I imagine already happens in the game... when aiming through a fence the target path line shows green to the fence, but red beyond it, and attempting to fire through the fence registers shots striking the wall), then perform a compare on each damage event to min_damage_to_destroy for the barrier

3) Whenever an object is destroyed, then swap out the tile with the destroyed version. eg, "wooden_fence_a" is swapped out with "wooden_fence_a_destroyed". As a stop gap all destroyed barriers can be swapped to a single generic "rubble" object, so that every barrier texture doesn't need to have a new sister texture generated.

The only question I have is I don't know if there is a problem coding the ability to allow characters to walk through a destroyed barrier? I don't know if the tile is flagged as "impassable", so that even if you can SEE through it, you can't walk through it. If true, then I don't see this as a stop-issue, just a limitation

If this feature is added, you could even expand it out to destroy large objects. For example, each tile which comprises a car has a min_damage_to_destroy set to 1000 (again, arbitrary value), and if it's surpassed then the entire car model / tiles are swapped out with a corresponding "blown up" car.

Anyhow, back on topic...

One thing to note, my comments are coming from about... hmm... I'd say maybe 20 minutes of actually playing the game, and 0 minutes of looking at any of the soruce code. I may be way off base.

But is this something scheduled for a future release? Is anyone already working on it? Is there a list of potential / planned future features? The sourceforge tasklist is pretty slim.

I don't really have much time now, but I may take an interest in adding the feature. It's been a few years since I've coded anything, and it could be a fun side-project.

Wanderer

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 06:35:47 am »
Quote from: "adamssl"
Is it really so difficult to add the ability to punch a hole through a wall? I can't imagine it'd be that tough.

<SNIP>

I don't really have much time now, but I may take an interest in adding the feature. It's been a few years since I've coded anything, and it could be a fun side-project.

See the wiki, func_breakable.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 08:33:33 am »

No. I can provide detail description what should be done and in what way. Care to do this for our maps?

But is this something scheduled for a future release? Is anyone already working on it? Is there a list of potential / planned future features? The sourceforge tasklist is pretty slim.

Take a look at our wiki at http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/ at TODO section.

adamssl

Destroyable Objects
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 02:05:13 am »
Fascinating info. Actually Zenerka, if you don't mind, could you provide a very high level overview of what would be required to add this feature? Or a list of limitations for why it's problematic?

I would like to start poking at a few different parts of the code. Although in all likelihood I'd start with a lot smaller and less daunting tasks. ;)

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Destroyable Objects
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 11:09:31 am »
It is not problematic at all. It just needs to be done.
Lets say we want to break a wooden fence. One must
1) create a particle for breaking wooden fence, so when one shoot at it, the user sees "exploding" wood
2) create and enable a sound for this event  (cl_parse.c/CL_ParseStartBreakSoundPacket())
3) open a map, select desired brush beeing wooden fence, mark it as func_breakable
4) go to step 1. and repeat for every type of breakable thing you want to introduce
5) go to step 1. and repeat for every map.

HTH, HAND :->