project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: pilots, helmets, suits and more  (Read 6512 times)

yeus

pilots, helmets, suits and more
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:55:16 am »
well..  not finished yet. But because my goal is to make this ship for "UFO: AI", I thought I'll post step by step on this forum to get some feedback from the developers, what they want etc...  
right now i think it would rather fit into the human-fleet, but I let you do the decision....

my first question to the delevopers would be:   to make that ship "fit" either into the alien-design, or the human-fleet, would you rather like to have more "sharp edges" or a rather "organic" look?

ohh.. and yeah:   i'm pretty good in this stuff, and fast..  so if you have some "small"  models, you need to have..  (like buckets, forks, windows, tires,  bags, streetlamps, every different kind of person etc...)  just post in this thread and soon after that i'll post the relevant files on this forum.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
Your model doesn't look very much like our established alien style, nor does it look very human. I don't know what we could do with it.

Of course, the big questions for any prospective UFO:AI modeller are:

Can you UV & texture?

Can you work to low polycounts?

Can you work to a pre-established art style and, by extension, to the specifications of an art director (me)?

Regards,
Winter

yeus

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:47:44 am »
Quote from: "Winter"
Your model doesn't look very much like our established alien style, nor does it look very human. I don't know what we could do with it.

Of course, the big questions for any prospective UFO:AI modeller are:

Can you UV & texture?

Can you work to low polycounts?

Can you work to a pre-established art style and, by extension, to the specifications of an art director (me)?

Regards,
Winter

3x yepp.. that's exaactly, why I post the ship at such an early stage :).

greetings, Tom

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: new human/alien spaceship -first design
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 03:35:01 pm »
Quote from: "yeus"
ohh.. and yeah:   i'm pretty good in this stuff, and fast..  so if you have some "small"  models, you need to have..  (like buckets, forks, windows, tires,  bags, streetlamps, every different kind of person etc...)  just post in this thread and soon after that i'll post the relevant files on this forum.

Please take a look at sticky topic in "Artwork" with title "These models we need"

yeus

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 06:48:55 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"

Please take a look at sticky topic in "Artwork" with title "These models we need"

ohh  men.. i'm such a chucklehead... i'm sorry for that..  just posting blind into the forum my modell ^^ i guess those models are more urgent, than another spaceship...

so..  i looked through my model-base And already found something that you need:  A female Pilot.

Is it OK this way? Just tell me, If you want to change anything on it.

That Modell has an overall vertex count of about 1200 right now. Though it has big potential to reduce the vertexcount to about 300-400 or so..  without loosing too much detail. (I just didn't do it yet :) ).

ANd I forgot to ask:  do you have some standart textures for the pilots suit? otherwise i guess i'll have to make one on my own.

greetings, Tom

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:21:36 pm »
I like that model very much, especially boobs (excusez-moi) :)
Though Winter, as our main storydeveloper, is the right person to tell whether any design fits our requirements or not.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:45:19 pm »
but we need the head seperated from the body - but that should be a big problem. really cool model - can we use the body even for new civilians? would add a little variation to the game. are they already animated? if not - we have max sourcefiles in our svn repository where you can copy the animation from. hope to see this in game ;-)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »
ohh  men.. i'm such a chucklehead... i'm sorry for that..  just posting blind into the forum my modell ^^ i guess those models are more urgent, than another spaceship...

so..  i looked through my model-base And already found something that you need:  A female Pilot.

Is it OK this way? Just tell me, If you want to change anything on it.

That Modell has an overall vertex count of about 1200 right now. Though it has big potential to reduce the vertexcount to about 300-400 or so..  without loosing too much detail. (I just didn't do it yet :) ).

ANd I forgot to ask:  do you have some standart textures for the pilots suit? otherwise i guess i'll have to make one on my own.

greetings, Tom

The flight helmet is great, and I do like the suit, but it looks nothing like a flight suit to me. A future flight suit would be made up of lots of tubes and inflatable pockets to keep blood from rushing into your extremities, and it would most likely be a military olive drab colour.

What I'd really like to see is a flight suit like I've described with the helmet you've got there. We could definitely use your current suit for a civilian, though.

Regards,
Winter

yeus

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 05:43:59 pm »
ok.. next version is here :) :

How do you like that one winter? It#s not finished yet, just wanted to know if it goes into the right direction....

And two more things:  
1. what is your vertex-count target for ufo: ai?

2. what texture resolutions do you guys use? (on the image I have a 1024x1024)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 07:38:16 pm »
about the format: have a look here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Modelling#Modelformat

can you maybe submit the previous body and head, too (as civilian model)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 07:46:47 pm »
ok.. next version is here :) :

How do you like that one winter? It#s not finished yet, just wanted to know if it goes into the right direction....

And two more things:  
1. what is your vertex-count target for ufo: ai?

2. what texture resolutions do you guys use? (on the image I have a 1024x1024)

The suit design is more appropriate, although I'd like to see a nicer shape and much more texture detail. What is that metal cube around the midsection there? It looks . . . wrong. Too big and inflexible.

Lastly, the body is too thin, it needs more waist and hips, and the knees are much too low down.

Regards,
Winter

yeus

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 03:42:13 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
about the format: have a look here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Modelling#Modelformat

no problem...  only thing I want to know is:  Can the models in UFo:AI have more than one material?  i'm asking becuae I want to know whether u should better do the eyes/mouth/teeth as seperate meterials, or as UV-Textures

greetings, Tom

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:04:45 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"

no problem...  only thing I want to know is:  Can the models in UFo:AI have more than one material?  i'm asking becuae I want to know whether u should better do the eyes/mouth/teeth as seperate meterials, or as UV-Textures

greetings, Tom

MD2 format is one material/model.
Then you must make separate models for the total model, like head, arms body, legs etc.

Willem

yeus

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 02:58:08 pm »
ok.. here's the *.blend file for the head including the uv-texture.

I'm not really expereinced using the md2 format but i reamoved any unnecessary stuff from the model.

here 's a picture of the head:

And here the URL for th download:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/8c81a6/

greetings, Tom

ohh yeah:  i forgot:  does the head actually needs hair?  or do you use the hair "randomly" on different heads?