project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Civilians with guns?  (Read 3549 times)

Alex

Civilians with guns?
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:06:36 pm »
Has this subject been discussed yet?

The thought occurred that Farmer Joe might have a bolt action 22 calibre rifle, so rather than fleeing he might be (albeit harmlessly) pinging shots off at the aliens...

Or the aliens crashland in an urban gangland ghetto, and find themselves faced with a small group of civilian gangsters armed to the teeth with small arms, pistols, rifles, etc.

What are the chances of this happening in-game?

inquisiteur2

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:55:11 pm »
I think this might be planned for future releases, but that's not a priority.

pma

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:37:29 pm »
It looks like a mandatory feature for missions in the US :D

Alex

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:44:18 pm »
Yeah, it would have to be location dependent.  It would be a nice touch if it ever gets done... but it would introduce the chance that the civilians could finish off the aliens before your team has a chance to fire off a shot :)

inquisiteur2

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:54:40 pm »
Well, due to the fact that in the wiki all starting weapons for Phallax are in fact available for any regular military, yes US civillians could have them too, thus can finish of the aliens indeed....

Maybe armed civilians should only have access to secondary weaponry with some restictions...like usual pomp action and gunz. Would be nice to have pre-warp weaponry like MAC-10, AK-47etc...but I guess this is really not devs priority.

Alex

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:05:39 pm »
Of course this is all speculation, but if there is ever a sequel I'm sure there'll be chances for new ideas to be included.  I'd like to see this, if not in the current UFO then perhaps a sequel.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Civilians with guns?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 06:47:55 pm »
It might be nice but all the programming that would have to be done for this...
In the end, you would have to fight one alien less or one wounded alien in some maps. You mostly wouldn't even see the civilian shooting at the alien...

Actually, I'm not sure if this is worth the effort...

Alex

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:52:42 pm »
Please do not think I am demanding this feature, the team is already under the pump trying to get the core features implimented and working properly... nice touches can come later if there is time.  I just thought I'd throw the idea out there into the wind to see where the wind might take it, nothing more or less.

It would be a nice touch though, so that civilians weren't complete retards.

mingfai

Civilians with guns?
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 07:05:12 am »
Quote from: "Alex"
Yeah, it would have to be location dependent.  It would be a nice touch if it ever gets done... but it would introduce the chance that the civilians could finish off the aliens before your team has a chance to fire off a shot :)

would it also introduce the chance that your team is finished off by the civilians (as gangsters are mentioned above)!  :D

btw, I read UFO: Extraterrestrials has the feature that civilian may have guns.

I remember in the old UFO game, a kind of Alien can capture the body of my soldiers. So, there is a chance for an alien to take control over a farmer's body. You think he is a just a farmer with gun, but he may be an alien and he may shoot at you.