project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What's your favoret load out?  (Read 20676 times)

Gedaliah

What's your favoret load out?
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:05:47 am »
At the start of the game I end up firing most of my soldiers, and hiring people with the skill to best use the following(all load outs assume med kits,latest armor, and only one reload for the backup. Mags=Primary weapon reload):

• 2xGerdage launchers with HE rounds  /w riot shotgun loaded with explosive rounds. 2 flash bang, 1 flag. 5xMags
  • 4xAssult rifles /w riot shotgun loaded with explosive rounds. 3xflashbang, 2xfrag, 4xMag.
  • 2xSniper rifles with SMG for backup. 2 flash bang, 1 frag. 4xMags

I rarely have to resort to it, but if push cover to shove the primary weapon is dropped, and the backup unloaded from the holder or backup as needed. Late game:

• 4xHeavy lasers.  2xPlasma, 3xGas, 3xPlasma Blades. 4xMags
  • 4xBolt Rifles. 3xPlasma, 4xGas, 3xPlasma Blades. 2xMags
  • Option for 2xPlasma Blaster as a primary weapon /w 8 mags.
The damage is kind of lame on the Heavy laser, but the accuracy is crazy! I take out targets across the map with no problem. I usually perch my laser users somewhere high to snipe because the laser's damage is too poor to use in close quarters. The Bolt rifle, wile expense and not nearly as accurate as the heavy laser it more accurate then the assault rife and does more damage then both.  I ignore the plasma weapons for the most part because of the poor range and accuracy. I do like the Blaster better then the grenade launcher. It can't roll rounds around a corner(don't need it too when I have hand grenades), and it can't arc as much; However it does nearly the same damage as a three round burst from plasma ammo, and has much better assault capabilitys. I ignore the partial weapons because without the ability to produce the ammo it's too sparing to go into mass use.

Wile it's moot right now, I usually place bases in or near Texas on the Gulf of Mexico, another in the Mediterranean about where Israel is, and if I'm not bored with that round yet, a third somewhere in eastern Russia or in Greenland.

Alex

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:03:30 am »
For single player, Six soldiers equipped with sniper rifles and smg's for backup, a couple of grenades, and the best armor I can get.

I can split the six into three teams of two, so they can watch each other's backs and cover suspect areas while other teams scout around the other side

For multi player, I'm not sure yet but it seems grenades do the most damage as the opponent generally knows where you've spawned and within 3 turns you'll be hit with a barrage of grenades.

Surrealistik

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:25:23 am »
Pre-Nanocomposite Armour:

Combat Armour.
7x Combat Knives (6 are for throwing)
1x Medikit
2 Smoke Grenades
X Flashbangs (where X is = to the # of remaining availible item slots).

Post Nanocomposite Armour:

Nanocomposite Armour.
7x Combat Knives
1x Medikit
2 Smoke Grenades
X Flashbangs.

Offline Stalins Organ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:08:25 am »
Just started & working through it still.

So far I'm enjoying flamethrowers - I only use 1, but with other troops spotting for it it gets a lot of kills.

So:

1 FT
1 GL - usually loaded with flechette
2 Sniper Rifles
rest SMG's

Secondaries are SMG's for the 2 heavy weapons, autopistols for the others, although I haven't used them yet.

1 each frag, smoke, incendiary & flashbangs - just to try them all out.

TerminatorII

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:37:27 pm »
I have really been impressed by the sheer destructive power of a GL with Flechets. really nice. My load out is as follows

2x Sniper rifles (for reaction kills)
2x Flamers
2x GLs (one fletchet one grenade)
2x Riot Shotguns (with fletchet, these guys watch my GL's backs)

secondaries are all SMG.

Offline Stalins Organ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:49:29 am »
Update:
3 Bolters
1 sniper
3 Plasma guns...don't recall which ones - the long thin ones...
1 sniper or GL or particle beam depending on which soldier I take

Secondaries are all micro-shotguns, although I've enver had to use one yet - hell I've only had to reload once total in the last week's games - with a sniper rifle that kept taking reaction shots! :)

I expect I'll be changing the snipers to particle beams shortly

I'm now using mroe grenades and med-packs too as I'm getting used to their mechanisms.

Shame there isnt' a proximity grenade any more.....

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:51:58 pm »
most of my troops are conventially equiped (particle rifle is best).

it s quite useful to have a soldier or two whose only gun is a pistol. Make it someone who is fast. they need not be that accurate (rely on getting them close). they are unlikely to become encumbered.

they can run around using medikits, grenades and knives. most pistols have low TU, so they are still damaging enough at close quarters. and as Surrealistik has previously pointed out, flashbangs are very powerful.

note that the combat knife is better than the kerrblade (small TU)
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Melee_weapon_table

Captain Bipto

Re: What's your favoret load out?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:15:27 am »
I start with one sniper, 2 smgers, 1 machine gun, 1 grenade launcher, a medic (heavy pistol and medkit) and 2 assault rifles. 

I beeline through lasers replacing the 2 assault rifles with laser rifles and the machine gun with a heavy laser (then equipping the heavy laser guy with a machine pistol just in case).  The medic gets a laser pistol. 

Then I research armor getting nano armor for all my guys (takes a while) and then the Bolter rifle for my sniper. 

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:03:25 pm »
Normal difficulty, early loadout:

combat armor, med kits for all.
2 x Assault Rifle (starting to be less useful now, waiting for laser rifles)
2 x Sniper Rifle
2 x Granade Launcher
2 x Machine Gun

seems to work so far

Captain Bipto

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:55:48 am »
Normal difficulty, early loadout:

combat armor, med kits for all.
2 x Assault Rifle (starting to be less useful now, waiting for laser rifles)
2 x Sniper Rifle
2 x Granade Launcher
2 x Machine Gun

seems to work so far

Would you replace those two machine guns with heavy lasers?

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 10:12:08 am »
Cpt. Bipto,

Probably will, as soon as I have them heavy lasers.  I just researched the armor (got one yipee!)  and now researching alien origin.  Maybe it is a waste...  So, heavy lasers before the bolter, eh?

Captain Bipto

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:39:34 pm »
Cpt. Bipto,

Probably will, as soon as I have them heavy lasers.  I just researched the armor (got one yipee!)  and now researching alien origin.  Maybe it is a waste...  So, heavy lasers before the bolter, eh?

DUDE.

I ALWAYS replace my one machine gunner's gat with a heavy laser (course I always give him a machine pistol too!)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 04:19:17 am »
next up, then   :)

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 02:18:55 am »
First:
Code: [Select]
1 SMG + medkit in the holster
2 SMG
3 SMG +medkit in the holster
4 Sniper
5 Machine gun
6 medic with pistol
7 Grenade launcher
8 SMG

Later:
Code: [Select]
1 Laser Rifle
2 Laser Rifle
3 SMG & medkit in the holster
4 Sniper
5 Heavy Laser
6 Stun rod + laser pistol
7 Grenade launcher
8 SMG & medkit in the holster

i dont like bolters- some aliens show great resistance to lasers, but it makes it up with range and accuracy - i often burn aliens with a reaction fire from long range lasers.
SMG for tight corridors situations and the GL for busting aliens out of the buildings- love to launch grenades through an open window.
Dedicated medic is useful at the beginning while i have only combat armor

Offline EchizenR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 03:50:28 pm »
Just started playing this awesome game. I'll usually have 4 soldiers with assault rifles (plus 2 rounds of reload- same for the others), 2 with sniper rifles and 2 with grenade launchers (HE). As recommended, all of them have medikits, plus at least 2 frag grenades and 1 flashbang.

As for my secondary, I don't usually care much for it as I've never had to use it. Perhaps someone could advise me on it.

Usually I tend to split my troops up depending on how many entry points there are, depending on the situation, or where do my soldiers start or how big is the map. Its either the typical 2-man team (assault+sniper/GL) or a 4-man team (2 assault+1 sniper+1 GL). But as always, people have to get creative sometimes.

I just completed the mission in the Amazons. That one pissed me off quite a bit as I keep getting 1-hit KO by the alien lasers. Had to restart several times. I sent 3 assualt, 1 sniper and 1 GL to advance the eastern bridge while I had 1 assault hide behind walls of the house on the bottom left to scout for aliens. Near the ship, I had 1 sniper and 1 GL also scouting and taking pot shots at aliens. My GL couldn't do much as the range across was too far, but overall, I was able to maintain visual contact with all the aliens on my turn.