project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: GtkRadiant Compile Error  (Read 1614 times)

Wanderer

GtkRadiant Compile Error
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:04:45 pm »
The following error was received while testing a map to figure out if size was going to become unwieldable.

MAX_MAP_LIGHTING (16778131)
GetLastError() = 0

There is no information in junk.txt.

A little background:  The map is a single level that builds out a .bsp at 5 megs.  To test to see if it was header space or build space, I copied the level four times and stacked them (no overlaps).  After 25 minutes of attempting to compile, it barfed this up.  I'm running 1.6 Ghz CPU with 512 MB of ram, but I'm pretty sure the above error isn't a system quality issue.

Is this the right place to help get support on GtkRadiant errors or should I try to find a support site for the product?

[EDIT:]  After a little research, the problem appears to be to much light sources and q2 not being able to handle it.  I removed my -chop 32 a while back trying to get compiles to work properly, and apparently it's now pissy.  I'll have to try it again.

If this fails, I'll have to reduce # of light sources, or reduce # of lit polygons.  Apparently the lightmap for q2 doesn't handle this much.  Will update on findings.
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2:] -chop 32, the recommended method I saw on a few BB systems, does not recover the problem.  If anything, it exasperates it.  Building out a very small map with the -chop 32 setting truns an 800k into a 5 meg file.  I never actually finished the compile on the real map.

It looks like I'll have to go to map reduction methods to clear this issue.  Any other ideas are welcome.

However, it's proved the point on size of file, at least.  The map size will be increased nearly linearly as I add more floors.  I need to reduce the primary floor in any case.
[/EDIT]