project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Startup Problems witn Mac OS X intel beta  (Read 6030 times)

schoberth

Startup Problems witn Mac OS X intel beta
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:59:53 pm »
When you have startup Problems with the Application bundle of the intel Version from Mac Port, do the Following :

1. Place the Bundle on the Desktop
2. download SDL Framework Runntime : http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.11.dmg
3. download SDL TTF Framework : http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_t..._ttf-2.0.8.dmg
4. Open Bundle by Right Click, show contents, and copy the two Frameworks into Ufo.app/Contents/Frameworks

Now it should run. When you still have Problems, please post them in this Forum.

Thank you for all people who tested the beta.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:21:34 pm »
Allow me to point at: http://ufoai.ninex.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1408

Installing the SDL_ttf framework made a difference, but it doesn't matter if I install SDL.framework or not - I still get the exact same error described in the console.log output in the referenced post.

schoberth

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:51:11 pm »
@madsen
Try to start it from the terminal, that helps in 99% of all cases.

1. cd /path/to/Ufo.app/Contents/MacOS/
2. ./ufo +set s_language en

This should work.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:37:20 pm »
Ok, starting it from the terminal did work (as I said in another post), but when I fly my drop ship to a site, then the screen turns black the instant I select Enter in the "Ship reached its destination, what to do?"-dialog. I still have the crosshair pointer and the music keeps playing, but nothing else is happening. If I press Esc I get the geoscape again.
I'm not sure how to debug this any further, so any suggestions are very welcome.

Btw, I'm on a Macbook Core 2 Duo (2 GHz and 1 GB RAM) and all software is up-to-date.

schoberth

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:46:22 pm »
Yes, this is a problem with corrupted mapfiles in this Version. I will upload a new one today evening. For now if you want to play, you can do the following :

1. Go to http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=157793
2. Download     ufoai-2.1.1-data.tar
3. unzip it and copy the contents of the folder (should be a list of *.pk3 files) to /Ufo.app/Contents/MacOS/base

Replace all files in this folder, which are already there.

Now it should work.

Sorry for the inconviniences.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:30 pm »
Wow! Yay! Awesome! Perfect! Brilliant! ... And a gazillion other words of praise! :)
It totally fixed it - and now I can finally enjoy the game. Apparently a lot of changes have been applied since I last played - every single one of them for the better. A trillion thumbs up, guys!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:20:17 pm »
there is a new version of the intel package available for download at sourceforge.net - afaik schoberth fixed the libs package

schoberth

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:15:25 pm »
Yes, the Problems are fixed in this version. The only thing that is left, is that on some Systems it has to be started from the comandline. The Rest should work.

bisteinee

i'm totaly new..
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:53:03 pm »
"3. download SDL TTF Framework : http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_t...
tf-2.0.8.dmg"

.. does not work..

I'm totaly new, but I WANT TO PLAY THIS  GAME!!!!

Thanks.

schoberth

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 09:38:43 am »
@bisteinee
If you download the new Version from sourceforge, you don't have to download the SDL Framework. Now the game contains all what you need.

In the worst case you have to start it from the comandline, because on some machines the bundle does not start with a mouse click.

1. ufoai-2.1.1-macosx_intel_beta2.dmg from the download link on sourceforge
2. open the terminal
3. change to your directory (cd /path/to/ufo.app/Contents/MacOS)
4. type ./ufo +set s_language en for englisch
5. or ./ufo +set s_language de for german

bisteinee

help again, please..
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 10:21:02 am »
man, I'm really not good at this.
I'm thankful for your aid but still I need some "more" ans "specific"
informations. What about I start from the start again?

download file .......
do this and this....

I don't wanna get on nerves..
it's just..

I also enjoyed playing Ufo in the past..

thanks again!!!!

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 01:44:36 pm »
C'mon... It's not really that hard.
You've downloaded the .dmg, double-clicked it and dragged the contents to somewhere on your harddrive - e.g. the Applications folder.

Now, open a Terminal (it's in Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and type the following (remember to press enter after the commands - case matters):
  cd /Applications/Ufo.app/Contents/MacOS
  ./ufo +set s_language en

That's all there is to it - it's really no harder than if you were told to open up a text-editor and write "UFO:AI for the win!". :)

If there's anything you don't understand, you're welcome to ask for more specifics on it, but please, try to be more specific when you ask. It makes it a lot easier to help you. E.g. What are you trying to do? (Start UFO:AI on a mac - that's a given.) What have you tried to make it work? What happens, when you try that? (Obviously, UFO:AI doesn't start, otherwise you wouldn't be asking, but what does it do instead of starting?)

Hope it works out for you.

schoberth

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 02:00:12 pm »
If you follow madsen's hints it should work. But the commands from him depend on having the application copied to your Applications folder.

Don't think that you are nerving, this forum is for asking questions. So if something still does not work, you are welcome to post your questions again.