project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some problems with research (middle armor/particle rifle)  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Hibakusha

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Some problems with research (middle armor/particle rifle)
« on: May 05, 2007, 11:30:24 pm »
First, Greetings to the UFO AI forum's community.

I like your game, the last ufo like game I played was Terror from the Deep and Jagged Alliance 2 (ok, not quite the same game, but the tactical part are very close).

I have some problems with alien middle armor research ... I researched it, and I can't research/build the nano/terran middle armor, my soldier keep playing in light nano suits.

In the research list ( armure moyenne alienne) it appears in yellow, same for the laser research, what does it mean?

Next problem: I finished the research on particle rifles, but in my equipment list, the particle rifles appear, but not the accelerated particle clip for them). You can see the P-rifles in the pic, but no ammo clips ...

Is it a bug, or did I something wrong? Can you help me, please?

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:34:27 am »
your armour question is similar to chinamark's.

see
http://ufoai.ninex.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1392

ammo research for the particle family of weapons is more advanced. i can't quite remember the prerequisistes, but keep playing and it should turn up.

enjoy!

Offline Hibakusha

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:22:39 am »
Thanks for your answers.
About the armor, well, ok, nothing else to do than wait.

About the particle weapon family, I tried to research everything I could (pass every tactical mission and research, nothing appears), nothing ....

Perhaps I have to catch the 2 other alien type alive.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:48:16 am »
about particle ammo. you are correct, i remembered wrong earlier. you can't make particle weapon ammo.

there is a game config file called research.ufo (in a compressed file) and it says "producetime   -1" for all particle ammo.

now i remember  :oops:, i always ended up buying particle ammo.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 10:13:34 am »
this is intended - read the ufopedia ;-)

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:42:26 pm »
How did you get 25 scientists?

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:59:13 pm »
He hired them, I guess.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 10:09:18 pm »
redtide:

if you do well, the nations offer more scientists as candidates. you can hire more. check at the end of each month for extra ones, when you get the "....administrative overhead" message...

Offline Hibakusha

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 10:22:23 pm »
I play the game at the standard difficulty. I noticed that it seems that at the end of the month, with good results, countries (or something else?) give me more staff to hire. Right now, I have 44 scientists (got the particle weapons !!), 20 techs, 5 doctors and 8-10 soldiers. Each time I have a tactical mission, I keep having 0 casualties at my soldiers, even with no rescued civilians, the countries seem to be happy and pay me well. I nearly kept the same team (8 soldiers) since I started the game. I loss only one soldier in a particulary hard mission, that was before I got nano armors.

Edit: already 2 answers when I was typing mine ^_^ ...

Since I am new to this game, I may not be accurate, but I need to say something about that: grenade launcher is really (too ?) powerful.
No advanced items except the nano armor, I just use casual ammo for all my weapons. A soldier with, let's say, 40 TUs, protected by a corner or wall, behind him, 1-2 soldiers as guardians with a rifle/assault gun in reaction fire mode.
Take one, move it to take a look and see where the aliens are, go back.
Move your grenade launcher soldier, launch 3 instant explosion grenades. Not dead ? Gamble: if it's a though one, or if there are a pack of 3-4 aliens, another 3 instant grenades. One alien is still alive ? Get one of the "guardians" and shoot it down.

I often notice that if they still survive, they seems to be badly wounded (3 indirect/direct grenade hits, d'oh !!) and flee/hide themselves or  panic.

I made many mission where the alien hides itself behind in a little house, but the roof is destroyed and I can use a grenade launcher. Same thing with a wall and a window, I can't hit with a rifle/assault, but grenade launcher works well.

Three good points:
- it is not possible to research the plasma ammo for grenade launcher too early, that would be too powerful.
- it is a close/middle range weapon.
- it can not be used in reaction fire.

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:28 am »
oh the new patch has the scrolling bar. i'm still beating 2.1 were u can only get 19 tops. nvm.