project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2D Art  (Read 38905 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
2D Art
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 09:07:27 pm »
really nice work - looking forward to see more - wow

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 09:25:35 pm »
Yes, you have my appreciation as well. I hope you can do more of this stuff for us. It's fantastic.

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 09:37:17 pm »
Thanks for all the positive responses guys!

Winter - I do plan to stick around for a while. Working on all those pics is pure fun. I'll do it till I stop enjoying it :). The only thing that I'd like to get is some sort of a list of all the needed 2D images (send me a PM and I'll give you my email address or just use the PM to send me the list). Not just the ones for UFOpaedia but also stuff for other things like loading screens. I'd love to do some concept art for the 3D artists as well.

You've mentioned that you plan to add artwork showing living alien specimens - I can take care of that, no problem. I'll be gone for the next 2 weeks though so I ask for patience.

Offline tempsanity

• Rookie
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 09:46:17 pm »
Hah, great times for this project :) So many great contributions.

Really cool. Can't wait to see more. I'm so happy :>

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 09:51:46 pm »
Looks great. :D

Hoehrer

2D Art
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 11:46:28 pm »
Wow - Blywulf, theses are great 8)

I never thought we would get any kind of drawing/images in the near future for the 'pedia so this thread just makes me really happy.

What sort of application(s)/format(s) do you use for stuff like this? Aside from my own curiosity I would really like to have source files lying around for these sort of things - even if we may never need them :) If that would be ok from your side of course.

EDIT: Oh and if you need reference shots from the 3d models of aliens and other stuff just tell me, I'll provide whatever you need.

@Winter: If you tell me what images to commit & weave in already just drop me a line.

Werner

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2007, 02:11:58 pm »
Alright, time for an update. I've added some colors to the breathing apparatus - here's the final image:

Alien Breathing Apparatus

Since I'm not quite sure what to work on next I'll just follow Winter's suggestion and do a pic of a living Taman. Once it's done I'll do some work on the rest of the aliens (Ortnoks, Shevaars and whatnot :D).

Quote from: "Hoehrer"
What sort of application(s)/format(s) do you use for stuff like this? Aside from my own curiosity I would really like to have source files lying around for these sort of things - even if we may never need them If that would be ok from your side of course.

I use Photoshop CS 8.0 and Corel Draw 10. I'm a bit careless when it comes to the size of all the files that I use. I like working on huge scanned images (300 DPI, usually well over 20 MB) so the source .psd files are pretty big. I can resize them and send em your way with all the layers included if you want it.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
2D Art
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 02:26:07 pm »
first of all: WOW - that looks really beautiful - i think winter will like it, too

yes, please also submit the sourcefiles - i can give you some webspace to upload them if you need it.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »
Good job blywulf.  8)

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 08:26:59 pm »
Thanks guys.

Mattn: Check your PM inbox. I sent you a link to the sourcefile.

---edit---

Question for Winter (I guess) - got some questions about the looks of the Taman.
There are some dark blue patterns covering some parts of their bodies. You can see them on their heads and arms. Do those patterns have some sort of a meaning? Are they ritual tattoos? Do they signify rank (different blue spots for different ranks)? Are they supposed to be symmetrical or are they merely a natural feature of Taman skin and appear randomly all over their bodies?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
2D Art
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »
Quote from: "Blywulf"
Question for Winter (I guess) - got some questions about the looks of the Taman.
There are some dark blue patterns covering some parts of their bodies. You can see them on their heads and arms. Do those patterns have some sort of a meaning? Are they ritual tattoos? Do they signify rank (different blue spots for different ranks)? Are they supposed to be symmetrical or are they merely a natural feature of Taman skin and appear randomly all over their bodies?

First of all -- bloody marvellous job on the Alien Breathing Apparatus. It's stunning.

As for the skin patterns, we haven't ascribed any significance to them. They can be a random skin feature as far as I'm concerned, but they don't really look natural, due to their shape and regularity. The only thing that would make sense given the nature of the alien threat is that these markings would imply a job function or special training of some type.

Unless one of the team has strong objections, random patterns (with no biological significance) all over the body would be fine with me.

Regards,
Winter

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 10:54:04 pm »
Thanks Winter!
Here's a quick sketch of a Taman with random markings on his skin (all pencil + a couple of rough digital brush strokes). I'd like to get some sort of feedback before I turn it into a fully fledged digital image.

Taman - live specimen

Comments and crits required

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 11:17:23 pm »
Thanks Winter!
Here's a quick sketch of a Taman with random markings on his skin (all pencil + a couple of rough digital brush strokes). I'd like to get some sort of feedback before I turn it into a fully fledged digital image.

Taman - live specimen

Comments and crits required

Excellent. I think it's great, so if mattn agrees, please finish it up.

Just so you know, we don't need live Ortnoks and Shevaar, but we do need autopsy images for all 3 aliens, as well as an autopsy and live specimen image for the Bloodspider.

Future aliens will also need autopsy images and some of them will need live images, but we don't currently know how many we'll end up with. I have some models for new aliens but no textures or animation for them. It won't do any good to draw images for them until we have them fully textured and animated.

Regards,
Winter

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 11:37:10 pm »
Quote from: "Winter"
Just so you know, we don't need live Ortnoks and Shevaar, but we do need autopsy images for all 3 aliens, as well as an autopsy and live specimen image for the Bloodspider.

Ok, no work for me for the next 8 days so you may expect to see some new pics real soon.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 01:45:19 am »
Ok, no work for me for the next 8 days so you may expect to see some new pics real soon.

That's some of the best news I've ever heard, mate. ;)

My job's going to be very demanding over the next few weeks, I don't know how much I'll be able to be online, so don't wait for feedback from me to get started on a new image. I will try to post as frequently as I can, though -- this forum is one of my priorities. Just don't worry if I don't post straight away.

Regards,
Winter