project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2D Art  (Read 38899 times)

Blywulf

2D Art
« on: May 05, 2007, 05:42:08 pm »
Hello everyone!

I took a look at the things that your art dept. needs and it seems that you're currently focused on 3D models and textures. I can create 3D models in 3DS Max but I never had the patience to learn how to properly rig and texture them. In other words I'm not a 3D art expert and that's why I'd like to offer my services as a 2D artist. I can do concept art, pencil sketches as well as full blown large scale colorful pictures. The problem is I'm not sure what sort of 2D art is currently needed (drawings for the UFOpaedia? Concepts of both alien and terran equipment? Loading screens?) so some advices and requests are most welcome.

Samples of my pieces of art (fan art for WoW, WAR etc.):

image1
image2
image3

Oh and since it's my 1st post here I just wanted to thank all those who contributed to the project - awesome job guys. UFO:AI seems to have the same atmosphere that X-com used to have. Playing it brings back some memories.   :D

Offline tempsanity

• Rookie
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 05:51:11 pm »
Great, finally a 2d artist :) I like the 3rd one.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »
Great stuff,

Looks good. :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
2D Art
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 06:44:53 pm »
This looks really cool - great work.

There are some 2d arts needed to improve our menu images and e.g. for the ufopedia. we will make a list of 2dart that is needed and will send it to you - thanks for your offer.

best regards
martin

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
2D Art
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 07:49:15 pm »
We absolutely want 2d artists for UFOpaedia illustrations. In fact, it's one of the areas in which we've been vitally under-staffed. I'd go so far as to say un-staffed. We currently don't have anyone working on it.

So yes, we would be very happy to have you on the project, Blywulf. One of our current major needs is a simple abstract drawing to represent the concept of antimatter. Something like this: http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/imageHomeEn/EtoM.jpg

This would be displayed in the UFOpaedia as the image of the Antimatter research topic. I'd be very happy if you'd give it a go.

Regards,
Winter

Hoehrer

2D Art
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:32:39 pm »
I can just re-iterate what Winter said, Illustrations for the ufopedia are one of the things we really need, be it alien technology, autopsies, physical characteristics or similar. (generally anything we can't do in 3D for whatever reason ;))

Werner

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 09:19:22 pm »
Alright then! I'll get to work right away. A word of warning though: I work out of town and since I dont have a laptop I cant do any digital art when I'm away from home. I return for weekends every two weeks. So, expect updates on a bi-weekly basis (at least for the next 2 months :)).

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 06:46:31 pm »
Ok, here's my attempt at the illustration associated with the 'antimatter' UFOpaedia entry:

It may seem a bit sloppy in some places but I'm guessing it's probably going to be a lot smaller once it gets integrated into the UFOpaedia. I hope it will look just fine. :D

As always, comments and crits are welcome.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 07:29:15 pm »
looks great to me. nice one.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 10:08:39 pm »
Absolutely awesome for me, though Winter will decide whether it fits or not.
I hope you will contribute for us with 2D art. :)

Surrealistik

2D Art
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 10:35:46 pm »
Excellent work. I'm definitely eager to see more such contributions.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 11:27:33 pm »
Brilliant, I love it! It'll be an awesome addition to our UFOpaedia.

Maybe next you'd like to try your hand at the Alien Breathing Apparatus? The research article (i.e. description) for it is available on the wiki, you should have no trouble finding it.

For references, I'd like the image to look somewhat like this: http://www.cleanair.utah.gov/images/how_pollution_affects.gif

That is, a silhouette of an alien (preferably Taman, definitely not Ortnok), with the breathing apparatus fully-drawn in the appropriate location.

Regards,
Winter

Blywulf

2D Art
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 08:05:12 pm »
I got back home a week earlier so I had some time to spend working on a pic of the Alien Breathing Apparatus. I hope I placed all of its key elements properly (a sphere on each side of the brainstem and a pipe stuck in the trachea) :D. The pic still requires some work. Obviously, the apparatus itself needs some colors.

Alien Breathing Apparatus

Not sure if you like the fact that I decided to include an enlarged view of the apparatus. Once I was done drawing the alien's silhouette I noticed that it has to be quite large in order to make the viewer aware of what he actually sees (alien's neck and parts of its internal respiratory system). With a large part of the pic taken by the silhouette the apparatus itself looked rather small. That's why I decided to 'zoom in' on it.

On a side note - I've drawn an entire silhouette of a Taman (Tamans are those skinny blue guys, right? :D), just in case there's a need for some more drawings of alien internal organs.

Taman

Comments and crits welcome.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 08:39:26 pm »
Quote from: "Blywulf"
I got back home a week earlier so I had some time to spend working on a pic of the Alien Breathing Apparatus. I hope I placed all of its key elements properly (a sphere on each side of the brainstem and a pipe stuck in the trachea) :D. The pic still requires some work. Obviously, the apparatus itself needs some colors.

Alien Breathing Apparatus

Not sure if you like the fact that I decided to include an enlarged view of the apparatus. Once I was done drawing the alien's silhouette I noticed that it has to be quite large in order to make the viewer aware of what he actually sees (alien's neck and parts of its internal respiratory system). With a large part of the pic taken by the silhouette the apparatus itself looked rather small. That's why I decided to 'zoom in' on it.

No need to have worried, once again it's brilliant! I hope you'll stay with us, your work shows an intuitive understanding of the writing that blows me away. I'm very happy with it -- it almost doesn't need colours and shading, although they would of course improve the image.

On a side note - I've drawn an entire silhouette of a Taman (Tamans are those skinny blue guys, right? :D), just in case there's a need for some more drawings of alien internal organs.

Taman

Comments and crits welcome.

If you wanted, you could easily turn that (very nice) silhouette into a drawing for the Live Alien topic. Colour the body, maybe draw an airtight holding cell around it, and you'd be done.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
2D Art
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:48:19 pm »
Wow, that's good stuff! Respect!