project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Preliminary voice samples list.  (Read 17664 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Preliminary voice samples list.
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 12:57:33 am »
Simply because it will take a kill the dramatic atmosphere, if a spooked soldier, who is on the verge of homicidal panic... sounds just as in-control as he always does.  Sound is one of the most effective way to convey a mood in a game. People will instinctively believe vocal cues over the numbers.
But feel free to record/acquire samples without different panic levels.  My plan can accommodate that.

Well, I can't say I relate to this. In fact I probably wouldn't use the voices anyway, because I like the game without them. But that doesn't matter, my issues were with practical concerns, not my own preference. Even so, I maintain that *five levels* of mental disturbance are overkill. A simple panic/non-panic distinction should suffice.

As for the rest of what you said, I guess it's fair enough, though I still question the realism of having both acceptable quality and workable sizes. That's something that will have to become apparent. Either way, I guess I've said all I wanted to say on this subject. I'll leave the rest up to Winter.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 02:57:29 am »
ven so, I maintain that *five levels* of mental disturbance are overkill. A simple panic/non-panic distinction should suffice.

*shrug*  5 levels is my guess at what the average person could easily distinguish between (assuming a decent amateur actor).  I'd be happy with 3 levels: "confident", "neutral", & "fearful", but (i expect) the code to allow for 3 or 5 levels is about the same as the code for 2 levels.  Why not provide room for the community to do better than you expect, rather than locking things down at the level of minimum functionality?

BuZZeM

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 03:08:03 pm »
Been playing this for a bit and figured I'd offer my help.

I think I could work with you on "combat chatter" or perhaps as the voice of one of the guys sending e-mail to phalax commander (so cmd. navarre or the docter-in-chief or...) if you want those verbose as well. At the very least I'm "one more voice".

I'm Dutch, my spoken english is reasonable but I suppose not (completely) without accent. Shouldn't bother too much however, since PHALANX is quite the international bunch.

Let me know if your interested, if so -in what-, or that you would like to hear some sound samples first.
I've read that you want clear audio to start with, which is fine to me. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that are better to add effects then I am.

BuZZeM