project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: My HUD Suggestion  (Read 3697 times)

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
My HUD Suggestion
« on: April 25, 2007, 12:11:24 am »
Hi,

I've always felt the UFO:AI HUD should as well bring back the old 'UFO feeling' as look modern and less blunt. I like the current HUD (the Alt-HUD is a nice idea, but not really usable in my opinion). but find it a bit too 'heavy' sometimes.
Thats why today I decided to do some GIMPing (instead of photoshopping ;-) ) to present my idea of a lighter, cleaner HUD. I don't consider myself a big graphic artist and this is especially "quick'n'dirty", but I think the idea is quite visible.
I'd like to put this to public discussion and am curious about your feedback.

My HUD:

The current HUD, for comparison:

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
My HUD Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:23:32 am »
we can integrate a new (alternative) hud into the game of course - but you have to implement the functionality, too (mostly in the base/ufos/menu_hud.ufo script file) - if you have questions about the script files, feel free to join the irc and ask.

best regards
martin

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
My HUD Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 12:24:04 am »
btw. you've seen the althud, don't you? we already have two huds implemented - see options menu

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: My HUD Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 12:31:12 am »
Quote from: "XaverXN"
Hi,

I've always felt the UFO:AI HUD should as well bring back the old 'UFO feeling' as look modern and less blunt. I like the current HUD (the Alt-HUD is a nice idea, but not really usable in my opinion). but find it a bit too 'heavy' sometimes.
Thats why today I decided to do some GIMPing (instead of photoshopping ;-) ) to present my idea of a lighter, cleaner HUD. I don't consider myself a big graphic artist and this is especially "quick'n'dirty", but I think the idea is quite visible.
I'd like to put this to public discussion and am curious about your feedback.

That layout is much nicer than either of the current HUDs -- indeed, my first thought was 'Bloody marvellous!' -- and most of us would be extremely happy to see the GUI overhauled, but as mattn said the scripting is the real bugger in doing that. All our (very valuable) coders are engaged with higher-priority tasks. You'd need to learn how to do it yourself or find someone outside the team who's willing to take on the scripting.

Regards,
Winter

Wanderer

My HUD Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:24:16 am »
I really like the top version, especially from the concept of it'll allow for more then the current '8' member team HUD.  I can't say I'd complain at seeing that result.  Only problem with the top hud is it's hard to shoot from... XD

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
My HUD Suggestion
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:25:21 am »
IMO we don't need special "fire" button - clicking the weapon image should be enough.

EDIT: also, the soldier selection and level selection should be organized in different way - arrows for switching between targets are ok, but the tab with list to select would be better. Something what would work as chat buttons in multiplayer, but with the list (at least for soldiers) instead of buttons - especially that there can be more soldiers than 8 in the future.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
My HUD Suggestion
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:15:29 pm »
@ Winter+Mattn: Yes, I know, I know... I rather did that to bring my ideas to paper. Sure that's not top priority. Don't know if I have the time and nerves to to that scripting myself, but lets see...

@ Mattn: Yes, as I have written in the post, I've seen the althud ;-)

@ Winter+Wanderer: Thank you

@ Zenerka: One of my ideas. You can shoot, maybe even reload by clicking on it - moving the weapon can be done in the inventory as well.
For switching levels and soldiers, I like my arrows concept better than a list, to be honest - that way you can keep clicking till what youre looking for appears, you don't have to know the number/name.
Also, I'm not sure if I get what you mean by the last sentence.