project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some menu sounds  (Read 7201 times)

Alex

Some menu sounds
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:29:20 pm »
There are some menu sounds for download at my homepage if you're interested.

If they're not suitable, I can make some more.

At least they will give a starting point.

http://soundportfolio.com/home/menu-gui-fx/menu-pack-1/details.html

Offline tempsanity

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Some menu sounds
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 07:53:19 pm »
I would suggest changing the 'your turn has started' sound :P

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Some menu sounds
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:31:10 pm »
They are excellent effects. Crisp and electronic: the perfect accompaniment to any HUD.

my favourite is 1. with perhaps a lower pitched sound (i think 4 is best) for menus closing.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Some menu sounds
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:20:52 pm »
maybe you could also do some for the various messages (those that are shown at the geoscape) or a new mail arrived sound

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Some menu sounds
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 11:35:38 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
maybe you could also do some for the various messages (those that are shown at the geoscape) or a new mail arrived sound

We definitely need a 'new mail' sound.

All the sounds in this pack are brilliant and I think we should incorporate some, if not all, of them. Good button sounds have been sorely missing from UFO:AI. There's something satisfying about the interface responding audio-wise when you use it that I think should definitely be in the game.

Regards,
Winter

Alex

Some menu sounds
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:38:39 am »
If I made a bunch more of these kinds of sounds will it be useful?  Then you can pick the ones you like best for mail, messages etc.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Some menu sounds
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:55:20 pm »
Hi,

I listened to the sounds, they came out pretty good IMO.  I was actually working on a whole set of recorded computer voices saying things like "research completed" or "new messages available," but these sounds may very well be better because they break the language barrier - they don't need to be translated into 10+ languages like my files would.

The video trailer I put together has some of the computer voices I recorded, what do you guys think would be better - the voices or just sounds?

I admit I had fun making the voices, but I have a feeling sounds would be better, and it also saves me a lot of work making translations for the twenty-some computer voice recordings I already have, and give me more time to work on soldier voices.

I listened to all of them - great work!

Alex

Some menu sounds
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 06:24:58 pm »
Thanks Destructavator (can I call you Des?)

I would personally go for sounds as far as menu items and events are concerned...  Remember command and conquer, it got a bit tiring after a while hearing "Construction Complete...  Construction Complete... Insufficient funds..."

However if you have vocal talent, I'd be more than happy to hear the soldiers speaking amongst themselves and obeying orders.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Some menu sounds
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:34:31 pm »
I'd rather have voiceless sounds for the interface. Like Alex said, voices for this tend to get repetitive and annoying. I certainly found it extremely aggravating in UFO: Afterlight.

Alex, all the sounds you make will be useful in some way. At the very least they'll help us select the best ones for the most appropriate tasks. ;)

Regards,
Winter