project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game random  (Read 3605 times)

Offline teoleo

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game random
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:14:43 pm »
The mission, the map, the alien activity is random at every game?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Game random
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:17:52 pm »
some of the missions are - well pseudo random - they are taken out of a pool of missions - the ai is random, the maps are static in 2.1 . the map assembling feature (random maps) is deactivated at the moment

zodde

Game random
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:54:56 am »
Are there plans to implement randomly generated maps in future releases? Im under the impresseion that how things are built right now the maps are "fixed" and not randomly generated what so ever.

Nothing would make me more happier if this is not the case and that the maps will be randomly generated in the future.

This is one of the top whishes I have tht I miss right now from the Original Xcom.

Otherwise the game looks great, Have been playing the 2.1.1 for a day or two right now, not advanced that far (Have a wife, job and a doughter that is 8 weeks old!). The graphics are great, the music is OK and gameplay otherwise is also great.

Theese randomly generated maps are important in the future, this is a good way to keep the game playable for a long time, because two missions will never play on identical maps! Except for your own base which ofcourse were rendered as you have built it!

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Game random
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:53:06 pm »
The random map generator code is done and it "works". But we experience crashes from time to time, and pathfinding is "a bit" broken currently.
We strongly believe we will manage to fix that for 2.2 - random maps is one of most important goals for 2.2 - see our TODO list on wiki.

You can try random map assemblies even in 2.1.1, for example in console:
/map +frozend alienlandingindustrial

Wanderer

Game random
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:07:22 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"
The random map generator code is done and it "works". But we experience crashes from time to , and pathfinding is "a bit" broken currently.
We strongly believe we will manage to fix that for 2.2 - random maps is one of most important goals for 2.2 - see our TODO list on wiki.

Zenerka, is there a way to activate a map like this in a single player campaign so you can go in and play it instead of just watching the Civilians wander around?  I thought I read somewhere of a way to put a specific mission onto the globe.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Game random
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 07:44:38 pm »
Go to base/ directory, unpack 0ufo.pk3 (it is zip). Find missions.ufo file. In this file you have prepared missions with details. Find one mission with random map assembly - you will figure such mission by the map value - if the map begins with + sign, it is random map assembly.

If you have your base and prepared team, open up console and issue:
/mission missionname
where missionname is a mission definition from missions.ufo file.

zodde

Game random
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 10:38:39 pm »
Im extremely happy to read that randomly generated maps are a top priority and that nearly completion!

Malakie

Game random
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 07:35:54 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"
The random map generator code is done and it "works". But we experience crashes from time to time, and pathfinding is "a bit" broken currently.

First, GREAT JOB!   I just got the latest 'commercial' release game out, UFO Extraterrestrials and was very disappointed.  It looks nice, plays exactly like UFO Xcom but is not very intuitively friendly with the mouse etc.  

Plus the maps are static.

If you get the random maps implemented, I would probably not be able to quit playing... :-)

Right now, even at this stage, your game is already 10 fold better than any release out now or that has been in the past.  I so look forward to the implementation of different mission types, random maps and a few other things.

BTW, is the game being designed with simple modding in mind?  For example, the ability for us non-coders out here to easily add weapons, new creatures, vehicles etc??   My train of thought is one of simplicity of course.  Say for example, a weapons list file that you simply add on an entry or record (like a database entry) of a new weapon.  Just give your new item a name, the stats and a picture file and it is usable in game.  

Imagine the release of the game comes with say 200 different weapons but over time either on your own or added by other users we end up with a database of over 1000 different weapons... so cool if it could be done.

Just my two cents.

Malakie