project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Building (and some weapon) descriptions  (Read 12110 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Building (and some weapon) descriptions
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 11:17:14 am »
Quote from: "PsyWarrior"
BTAxis, every time I post you seem to somehow get a post in before me! :roll:

I do it on purpose. I have this elaborate espionage system set up that alerts me every time you try to make a post so I can post before you. It makes me feel superior.

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
I have this elaborate espionage system set up that alerts me every time

Wow.Can I get one too?

NATO has 5.56 for assault rifles,yes.But AFAIK either NATO guns have 7.62 too ( in sniper i think) or WARSAW PACT guns should have 5.56 too.

Meanwhile,

I don't think anybody really cares. This is a game, not a weapons database geared towards accuracy.

Then we could make up bullet measures.Just for fiction and originality.I mean,firearms with 8.12 mm bullets or EM guns with 4.31 mm pellets.Go ahead imagine more.After all,the concept,artwork and setting is also measures for the attractiveness of a game,even when it is meant for XCOM fans.It can rekindle a trend.

Also, recoil-less accelleration technically doesn't exist, as that would be violating Newton's second law. Of course, there are tricks you can pull to reduce recoil.

Hey,the word "Newton Physics" rung a bell in me.

What about skills in Psi improves an agent's accuracy?I mean,since Psychic power is still a widely fictitious and quasi-magical(for our meager perception of course!) force,what about the idea psychic agents spend psito increase the accuracy for the next turn,probably spending mental energy to telekinetically counter the recoil force of guns for a VERY short time?

That could add spice,manipulation of Newton Physics through mind force.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 09:20:44 pm »
Maybe. Though I think care must be taken to not make psi all-powerful. You need to be able to do without.

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 10:20:42 am »
Of course.Toning it considerably down could make it useful such as:

*You lose all your psi points and can't do psi for a few days for a single turn increase in accuracy.

Could get a soldier out of a deathtrap,provided he has good psi.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 12:12:30 am »
I have this elaborate espionage system

WHAT?!

ALARM! SECURITY BREACH!

*Throws a black cover over monitor*

On topic: What's the Kerrblade, exactly? I've seen the images, but is it a human weapon (it has a human designed look to it), alien weapon, is it some kind of vibroblade or just basically a kind of sword?

-PsyW

EDIT: A correction on my figures earlier, for EM guns on tanks/battleships.
A 90mm cannon shell with no explosive content (not needed at these speeds) could be fired at over 3.5KM/s over long distances. In fact, the US Navy has plans to deploy railguns with effective ranges in excess of 250 miles! That has to hurt when it hits you...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 04:53:04 pm »
If it hits you. Who's ever heard of a gunner accurately hitting anything human-sized at a distance of 400Km without an explosive charge? I guess it could be useful for shooting at enemy ships, or something.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 09:29:12 pm »
Well, of course you would have to be insane to use a cannon to target a single human 250miles away...

The idea is that it's for anti-ship / anti-armour usage, and eliminates the risk of having loads of high-explosive shells aboard. Of course, if you're bombarding land targets, you'd have to be somewhat closer than 200 miles to ensure accuracy.

-PsyW

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 09:32:15 pm »
Railgun ships?I see that man has not stopped in his quest to create more powerful weapons.

I wonder what might be next.