project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: several smaller issues  (Read 3145 times)

DoomWarrior

several smaller issues
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:17:52 pm »
Hi

i updated svn to the yesterday version and played the game yesterday.
I found some smaller Level-Bugs:
1. The map with the (strip) club. It isn't possible to enter the upper floor to get on the roof. It seems like the third step is blocked.
2. The map with the subway. It isn't possible to enter the first door of the last waggon at the platform.  It's also not possible to go through any of the waggon at the platform.

Smal  translation typo:
de.po

missing colon:
#: ../base/ufos/menu_aliencont.ufo:398
msgid "Alien Type:"
msgstr "Alien Spezies:"

and a question, some of the ranks are translated eg. Squard Leader -> Gruppenführer or Captain -> Hauptmann but some don't like Sergeant.
Should all ranks are translated or not?
If the ranks should be translated the Sergant would be a "Unteroffizier". But this can not be true, because there is no difference to Squad Leader. A "Unteroffizier" (Sergeant) is always a Squad Leader. The problem is Sergant could also be an assistant platoon leader depending on the country (US Army, UK Army...) which would be "Feldwebel".

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: several smaller issues
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:28:12 pm »
Quote from: "DoomWarrior"

1. The map with the (strip) club. It isn't possible to enter the upper floor to get on the roof. It seems like the third step is blocked.
2. The map with the subway. It isn't possible to enter the first door of the last waggon at the platform.  It's also not possible to go through any of the waggon at the platform.

Would it be possible to get screenshots about these issues? That would make fixing these bugs easier, I believe. If it is possible, please upload them somewhere or make a bugreport on our tracker.

and a question, some of the ranks are translated eg. Squard Leader -> Gruppenführer or Captain -> Hauptmann but some don't like Sergeant.
Should all ranks are translated or not?
If the ranks should be translated the Sergant would be a "Unteroffizier". But this can not be true, because there is no difference to Squad Leader. A "Unteroffizier" (Sergeant) is always a Squad Leader. The problem is Sergant could also be an assistant platoon leader depending on the country (US Army, UK Army...) which would be "Feldwebel".

All ranks as well as rank shortnames should be translated. But rank system is poor at this moment and i am thinking about (re)implementing it as well as promotion and medals system. If anyone interested and has a time, could make a nice and sorted list of ranks with rank shortnames here (for example: 1. Rookie 2. Sergeant Sgt. 3. Captain Cpt. etc).

DoomWarrior

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:08:53 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"

Would it be possible to get screenshots about these issues? That would make fixing these bugs easier, I believe. If it is possible, please upload them somewhere or make a bugreport on our tracker.

I add bug entry to the tracker (#1673527)

If anyone interested and has a time, could make a nice and sorted list of ranks with rank shortnames here (for example: 1. Rookie 2. Sergeant Sgt. 3. Captain Cpt. etc).

Private (PVT or PTe) instead of Rookie
Private First Class (PFC) OR Lance-Corporal (LCpl)
Corporal (Cpl) instead of Squad Leader
Sergeant (Sgt)
Lieutenant (Lt)
Captain (Cpt)
Major (Maj)
Colonel (Col)
General? But I think that is my rank ;-)

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
several smaller issues
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:43:44 pm »
there's a level with a strip club? never noticed. which one is it.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 02:35:38 pm »

I add bug entry to the tracker (#1673527)

Thanks, but you uploaded screenie only for city04 issue. Is it possible to add screenie for subway issue as well? (or create new bugreport with such screenshot).

Thanks, i will extend ranks subsystem in the near future.

DoomWarrior

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:11:54 pm »

Thanks, but you uploaded screenie only for city04 issue. Is it possible to add screenie for subway issue as well? (or create new bugreport with such screenshot).

yeah sorry, i thourghed I could upload more then one picture, but this isn't possible with the stupid (sorry) tracker of sourceforge.

I see that the city04 issue is fixed. (r6634) So I'm not quite sure if the another bug report is necessary.

Quote from: "Redtide"
there's a level with a strip club? never noticed. which one is it.

city04 ... at least it looks like a strib club. Look at the pictures around the house with the dj-turntables

Private First Class (PFC) OR Lance-Corporal (LCpl)
Corporal (Cpl) instead of Squad Leader
Sergeant (Sgt)
Lieutenant (Lt)
Captain (Cpt)
Major (Maj)
Colonel (Col)
General? But I think that is my rank ;-)

I forgot to add the geman equivalents

Soldat (S)
Hauptgefreiter (HptGefr OR HG)
Unteroffizier (Uffz OR U)
Feldwebel (Fw OR F)
Leutnant (Lt OR L)
Hauptmann (Hptm OR H)
Major (Maj OR M)
Oberst (Oberst OR O)

First one is the short version for letters etc. the second one for lists, personally I would prefer the first one ;-)
I try to find those entries in the wiki translation table (at least for the old ranks) but couldn't find it?!

Offline Czert

• Rookie
    • View Profile
several smaller issues
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 05:42:10 pm »
I think we can split lietnant to two ranks - 2.nd lietnant and 1.st lieutnant., similar to colonel - split it to lt. colonel and colonel. IMHo is to big step from lt. to cpt. and from maj. to col.

And for first ranks it will best : private (or private first clas, but I preefer private) and second lance-corporal.