project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Two weapon sounds still needed for 2.1 release.  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Two weapon sounds still needed for 2.1 release.
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »
Hi

Maybe someone can contribute in such way: in 2.1 we need sounds for two weapons:
1. Sound for Bolter Rifle shoot - the most accurate sound for it would be something very similar to a whipcrack, basically a tiny breach in the sound barrier.
2. Sound for Machine Pistol shoot - Machine Pistol is a smaller (pistol-sized), less capable version of the SMG.

Currently we are using the sounds taken from other weapons, but it would be great to have a more variety also in shoot sounds.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:22:34 pm »
also a better grenade explosion sound would be cool (the current one sounds like breaking glass)

Alex

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:18:40 pm »
Hows this for a starting point for the bolter sound?

http://www.soundportfolio.com/sounds/weapons/bolter.wav

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:26:41 pm »
Quote from: "Alex"
Hows this for a starting point for the bolter sound?

http://www.soundportfolio.com/sounds/weapons/bolter.wav

As a starting point, it's very good, I like it. My only comment is, try to get a little bit more of a whipcrack effect in there. Essentially the Bolter sound is supposed to be a miniature sonic boom. Just like the crack of a whip.

Regards,
Winter

Alex

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 03:43:33 pm »
Ok I'm trying to hear these words in my mind...  I'm not sure if we share a common language for creating sounds so I'll do my best...

Using the current sound as a starting point, do you feel there is too much of a thud involved, I.e. if I emphasised the higher frequencies and softened the thud or removed it entirely, would that be more like it?

kinda like this:

http://www.soundportfolio.com/sounds/weapons/bolter2.wav

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:56:36 pm »
Ok I'm trying to hear these words in my mind...  I'm not sure if we share a common language for creating sounds so I'll do my best...

Using the current sound as a starting point, do you feel there is too much of a thud involved, I.e. if I emphasised the higher frequencies and softened the thud or removed it entirely, would that be more like it?

kinda like this:

http://www.soundportfolio.com/sounds/weapons/bolter2.wav

Perfect! I'd be very happy with that.

Regards,
Winter

Alex

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:03:26 pm »
Great!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 04:04:21 pm »
i've commited your work - thanks

Alex could you also do the other two sounds? SMG and grenades? :-D

Alex

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 04:09:28 pm »
I'll give it a crack :)

Does the SMG sound like any of the existing weapons?  Maybe I can use another sound as a reference point.

For the grenage, we're talking about the frag grenade right?  I'm thinking a deep sub-woofer thwomp with a sonic crack and perhaps a fiery frizzle to boot.

I'll have to do these sounds another day though, its 12am and I have to get some work done today...

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 04:56:45 pm »
Does the SMG sound like any of the existing weapons?  Maybe I can use another sound as a reference point.

We are mixing two things here. Let me clarify this out:
1) the current SMG sound is pretty ok. You can search that file in your base/sound/weapons directory, the file name is smg.wav
2) we need the sound for Machine Pistol, which smaller, less-capable version of SMG; so I could imagine that the sound could be similar, yet still different.

For the grenage, we're talking about the frag grenade right?

As a start. I wouldn't mind having different sounds for different grenades. But yes, as a start we definitely need new sound for frag grenade.

I'm thinking a deep sub-woofer thwomp with a sonic crack and perhaps a fiery frizzle to boot.

The sound should give the feeling of an explosion. Current sound is the file frag_grenade.wav and as mattn wrote, it is somehow too much "breaking glass"-like. We also have different sound for smoke grenade (the file smoke_grenade.wav) which is quite good. If you mean something like that for frag grenade, then no, please do it more "explosive".

Mattn already wrote he commited your bolter sound to repo. Send me a privmsg here your name and surname to add it to CONTRIBUTORS file unless you do not want to be there with your nick. Thanks for your work!

Offline tempsanity

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 04:57:43 pm »
Thanks for your contributions Alex!

Alex

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:08:06 pm »
No worries :)

Alex

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 03:18:18 pm »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 03:50:51 pm »
How is this for a grenade explosion?
http://www.soundportfolio.com/sounds/weapons/explosion.wav

I like the "WHUMP" quality of it, very accurate, but it's too bassy to be a hand grenade. The pitch needs to be higher.

That's my only suggestion. Very nice work, I wish you'd joined the project sooner. ;)

Regards,
Winter

Alex

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 04:16:23 pm »
You are probably right...  Thats easily fixed though...  It just felt a bit empty without a bit of a thump in it...  Maybe it can be used elsewhere.

I have been watching the project for a while, but limited time resources have prevented me from becoming actively involved.  Who knows how long I'll be around, but while I'm here I may as well try to do a decent job of it.