project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: what do you think about ufo afterlight?  (Read 8313 times)

inquisiteur2

what do you think about ufo afterlight?
« on: February 06, 2007, 08:49:17 am »
I am considering bying this game.

What do ufo fans think about it ? I have purchased aftermath before and I didn't really appreciate it.

ancient_scars

what do you think about ufo afterlight?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:54:40 pm »
Try the demo and make up your own mind. ;)

Offline lfloden

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:04:47 pm »
I played the demo for aftermath and didn't like the game play, the voices for the characters sounded like the company pulled people off the street for the voice acting. I have not tried the others yet.

Offline viktorcech

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: what do you think about ufo afterlight?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 05:17:27 pm »
hah, that's no ufo:) only silly game..

wastelandmerc

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:33:17 pm »
After series got some nice advantages and some bad. People who don't like it were awaiting sequel of X-COM series. This game wasn't made as sequel, only a game inspired by X-Com.
After series are still better then UFO:Extraterrestrials.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:05:28 pm »
Afterlight was okay. I just don't much care for the real-time element that's used in the series.

Cirdan

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:46:37 pm »
Afterlight is a good game, though I found it less gripping than Aftershock, IMO the best of the series. Afterlight's special because it mixes a heavier dose of strategy into the gameplay than the previous two UFO:After... games, since you now have to interact with several factions that can be either enemies or allies. You also have to be more careful with your soldiers, since your manpower is very limited. Drones can help you keep losses low, but they're no replacement for a veteran soldier. There are some steps back from Aftershock, though: underbarrel GLs and the like no longer work properly, for instance. I also think the enemy AI was better in Aftershock. The graphical look and feel of human equipment in Afterlight, while perfectly logical, is also quite ugly, and I prefer the Aftershock soundtrack.

BTAxis:Frankly, not to offensive or disparaging towards the UFO:AI team, but I fail to see why one would still stick with turns for a tactical game like this. The pause system makes it quite practical to simultaneously control a small squad, and the coloured paths is something UFO:AI could definately use, although they're ugly. The real-time element actually makes simultaneous control and realistic actions easier and more tactical, rather than making it "FPS-like" as I'm sure most turn-based fans would fear, and eliminates the unreal, "just a game", feeling you get alot of times from turn-based games. Take reaction fire in UFO:AI: looking at these fora and in the Wiki, there seems to be rather a controversy about how to make it more realistic, i.e. more like it was happening in real-time--this kind of problem is nicely avoided in games such as Afterlight.

EDIT: ooops, I seem to have performed Threadcromancy. :-[

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:14:58 pm »
Afterlight was awful, I hated it. Uninspiring enemies, boring tech tree and weapons, terrible voice acting and absolute bottom-of-the-barrel writing and campaign. Same goes for Aftershock. It's simplistic and dumbed-down, like playing a cartoon.

The only game in the whole Altar series that I actually like is Aftermath. It wasn't fantastic, but at least it was internally consistent, with a coherent plot free of deus-ex-machina bollocks.

Regards,
Winter

Cirdan

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
In terms of storyline, it's par for the course these days. The Deus Ex Machina (in one form or another) is rather hard to avoid, when facing aliens that are vastly superior (or anything that's vastly superior, for that matter) anyway. The tech-tree makes sense and the weapons are logical, if uninspiring.

As for voice acting, meh. I fail to see what's wrong with it, but I'm tone-deaf. I never hear more than three different notes in any music, no matter how complicated, and I have trouble figuring out voice tones in a conversation, so don't ask me to judge voice-acting for a videogame.