project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: (Possibly) a musical contribution  (Read 6224 times)

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
(Possibly) a musical contribution
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:06:33 am »
Hey!
I saw that you were looking for music for UFO:AI and thought I'd give it a shot, since I really like the game.
I've created part of a track, that might be useful to you (maybe not as mission music though, since it's somewhat obtrusive). It's still in its early stages and it still lacks a catchy melody, but I thought I'd follow Linus' advise and release early and (if you think it's worth continuing the work on) release often.

You can get it at: http://lillesvin.net/stuff/UFO-AI_music_1.ogg
And remember, it's not done yet. Suggestions are welcome!

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:37:34 am »
I completely forgot, I only have 128 kbit upstream on my server for the time being, so I'd recommend you use this googlepages link instead - unless, of course, you like waiting for downloads to complete.

http://lillesvin.googlepages.com/UFO-AI_music_1.ogg

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:21:36 pm »
Uhm... So... Is it worth continuing to work with - or does it have a snowballs chance in hell to make it into the game.

Personally I think it'd make a good title track, if it just got a catchy melody, but let me know what you think!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:55:39 pm »
sorry, it seams that i missed this post - it sounds good - but the start is a bit long... i think it would be cooler if the action starts faster. but of course we would take it into the game if you would improve it a little here and there. we need more music to bring variation into the game.

thanks for your work.

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 06:00:29 pm »
Faster action, got it!

What kind of other improvements were you thinking of?

DoomWarrior

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 08:36:48 pm »
I don't know if I have the "faster-into-action"-version ? 1:51?ec9fad1a2b1b32f8e5ebed91cfe96f8d  UFO-AI_music_1.ogg

but the intro is great. With my 5.1 system it sounds a bit too synthetic, but with my headphone it is ok (maybe playing with some compression-filter?). If I had to make an improvement, I would try to add a  longer extro (fall back to the intro "ping-pong"-sound)
This would have in my eyes several advantages:
- it is easier to play another music style track following your one
- the player wouldn't notice the changeover to another track with the same music style (-> sound like a mix)

but that's only my opinion. I'm not a decision maker nor a memeber of ufoai team. I'm only a guy with bad english ;-)

Offline madsen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:07:33 pm »
You don't have the fast-action version, since a such doesn't exist yet. (Look at the dates/times for the posts.)

As I mentioned - it's far from done, that's why it just fades fast all of a sudden, but I like your idea of going back to the beginning. The intro (in the first version, the one you heard) is definitely too long, so I'm going to see if I can gracefully cut that down somehow.

As for the 5.1 problem - I'm not sure what I can do. I did run it through a compressor in order for the action parts not to be too loud.

DoomWarrior

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 06:04:13 pm »
Quote from: "madsen"
You don't have the fast-action version, since a such doesn't exist yet. (Look at the dates/times for the posts.)

I don't think the intro is too long. Comparing with the (unfinished) complete length it's true, but because the track will grow, if I understood you corretly, the proportion would imho fit again.