project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Caracteristics of weapons  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Atanase

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Caracteristics of weapons
« on: December 03, 2019, 11:05:43 am »
Hello,

I would like to create new weapons more realistic and near of the actual weapons used by the soldiers now. For this I need to understand some parameters in the  "weaponsxxx.ufo" files.

Is somebody able to answer these questions ?

What does the 'shotorg' parameter represent ?
What is the meaning of "crouch" in this context ?
How thick, or number, is the value of 'throughwall' ?
As a normal soldier use 2 TU to walk one square, what is the "size" of this square. How many squares represent a "range" of 20, 100, 250 ?
What is (or in what .cpp file can I find) the formula that is used to calculate the effectiveness of a shot according to the distance, the dispersion of the weapon, the accuracy of the shooter, his skill in the weapon used, etc ...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Caracteristics of weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:02:59 pm »
Hello,

I would like to create new weapons more realistic and near of the actual weapons used by the soldiers now. For this I need to understand some parameters in the  "weaponsxxx.ufo" files.

Is somebody able to answer these questions ?

What does the 'shotorg' parameter represent ?
What is the meaning of "crouch" in this context ?
How thick, or number, is the value of 'throughwall' ?
As a normal soldier use 2 TU to walk one square, what is the "size" of this square. How many squares represent a "range" of 20, 100, 250 ?
What is (or in what .cpp file can I find) the formula that is used to calculate the effectiveness of a shot according to the distance, the dispersion of the weapon, the accuracy of the shooter, his skill in the weapon used, etc ...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi,

Weapon definitions are documented on our wiki: https://ufoai.org/wiki/UFO-Scripts/weapon_*.ufo I hope it is a good start.

I think the only question it doesn't answer is the firemode range one. Range is used when throwing grenades, and as I see it is the absolute distance between the source and the destination.
So maybe mapping dimensions can help? https://ufoai.org/wiki/Mapping/Dimensions Not sure, battlescape is not my strong side. :)

-geever