project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Small tweak to reaction fire.  (Read 1901 times)

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Small tweak to reaction fire.
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »
I've got no problem with the idea that after you move, or fire, you may trigger reaction fire.

What I don't like is when your soldier is shot before he fires.

I think what happens is that soldiers are allowed a 'free movement' to rotate to face the direction they are going to fire. So when you click for them to fire they (often) turn 1/4 or 1/2 around before firing - and that's when they get shot. :-(

I don't like it because, a) soldiers keep getting smoked just as they are about to kill aliens and b) there's no warning.

So could it be changed so that any 'swivelling-to-fire' is not considered for triggering reaction fire?

Offline ETBuster

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Small tweak to reaction fire.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:17:45 pm »
Sounds great to me but apparently that's what flash-bangs are for I quite often lose a few soldiers before they get a chance to fire.

You have to keep a few cannon fodder units on hand. I always lose at least 1 unit when trying to kill an alien, so if I keep a few useless units on the transport I can have them shield the more important ones.

Usually there's at least 3 reaction shots before one of my units can fire at an alien, and the first shot is always dead on which kills most of my units.

Even if their already facing the alien apparently raising the gun to fire or aiming is considered worthy of a reaction shot, It becomes especially sticky when the aliens develop needlers.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Small tweak to reaction fire.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:32 pm »
add the following to your autoexec.cfg (see FAQ for the path of config files)

Code: [Select]
set g_reaction_fair 0