project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Request: Miserable burst-fire sounds and slow animations.  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Request: Miserable burst-fire sounds and slow animations.
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:58:20 pm »
Ok, I've had enough with the current burst sounds for Assault Rifle and Machine Gun. Full Auto sounds fine but the controlled bursts... they're miserable. I assume the game tries to employ single shots in rapid succession to create a feeling of burst fire? Which is bad, BAD! The intervals between shots are uneven and unpleasant to listen. This has to change and I'm ready to do it, audioediting-wise. Does all this sound ludicrous? I think I'll name the burst sound files, for example, assaultrifle_3.wav for 3-round AR burst. Assaultrifle.wav is the original sound file, _3 notes the bullet count. Shouldn't be that much work (thinking only Assault Rifle and Machine Gun here).

How much work in the code would it require to take advantage of these new separate (and probably more fluid sounding) sound files for different fire modes?
The philosophy I was thinking was that if burst sound file exists, make the game use it. If not, create the burst sound the traditional way.

Also, animations are slooow. Soldiers walk. Maybe it is a stroll through the park. Maybe it's combat and soldiers and aliens should run. Ok, I know, running would require making new animations. What I'm asking is a way to increase the animation speed. Christ, it feels like forever to see a soldier to crouch. Or perhaps there already is a way to increase the animation speed during tactical?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Miserable burst-fire sounds and slow animations.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:16:33 pm »
There's a setting for animation speed in the menu.

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »
There is? I didn't see it. Just checked it twice. Using version 2.2.1. Perhaps it's in 2.3?

Also, made those burst sounds for Assault Rifle and Machine Gun. 3-round and 8-round bursts for AR, 6-round and 14-round bursts for MG. Corresponding to the ingame burst sizes. Built from original sound files, just trimmed and repeated enough times. Gods bless Audacity (open source audio editing program). See attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:54 pm »
Yes, I meant the develpment version. If you're going to do development on that (including sound development), you should do it on that.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:26:47 pm »
BTAxis what do you think about the sounds? should we use them?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:40:24 pm »
The problem is that these sounds were made with a particular shot count in mind. That's not good, because that would mean they would be inappropriate if the shot count ever changes as a result of balancing or modding. The same is true if the interval between shots changes. The sounds would have to be re-done, and that's needless extra work. I'd say we stick to the single sounds, but of course it'd be nice if we could make them sound better somehow.

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:06 pm »
Just tried out 2.3 (fairly recent build). Looks like the shot count for at least MG is changed. Anyway, you are right, I should focus on 2.3.

Also, editing the new sounds for various shot counts is minimal work. Literally, it takes maybe 5 minutes to extract the sound file, load it in Audacity, edit it (=select the area to be repeated, repeat it X times with the Repeat command, add the original single shot as the final round), save, and add it to the pk3 file. And there aren't that many weapons in UFO:AI or that many different shot counts. In fact, can anyone list the weapons with burst fire capability? Assault Rifle, Machine Gun, and Machine Pistol come to mind at first.

This is what they did in Jagged Alliance 2 (v1.13, which is heavily revamped JA2). There are separate sound files for each shot count and for each weapon. Some use, of course, same sounds. Burst bullet count goes up to 50 there, so that means 50 sound files for a gun. And might I say, there is a s***load of guns in that game now.

"If the interval between shots changes"? Doesn't seem very likely that it would ever change. Why would anyone change the interval between shots for a weapon?
I'm telling you, this is totally one way to overcome the clumsy sounding short burst sounds. It would absolutely guarantee steady sounding bursts and it's less work than you think. Sure, it might take extra few minutes of future modders' time but that's all. :)

odie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 05:21:15 am »
Just tried out 2.3 (fairly recent build). Looks like the shot count for at least MG is changed. Anyway, you are right, I should focus on 2.3.

Also, editing the new sounds for various shot counts is minimal work. Literally, it takes maybe 5 minutes to extract the sound file, load it in Audacity, edit it (=select the area to be repeated, repeat it X times with the Repeat command, add the original single shot as the final round), save, and add it to the pk3 file. And there aren't that many weapons in UFO:AI or that many different shot counts. In fact, can anyone list the weapons with burst fire capability? Assault Rifle, Machine Gun, and Machine Pistol come to mind at first.

This is what they did in Jagged Alliance 2 (v1.13, which is heavily revamped JA2). There are separate sound files for each shot count and for each weapon. Some use, of course, same sounds. Burst bullet count goes up to 50 there, so that means 50 sound files for a gun. And might I say, there is a s***load of guns in that game now.

"If the interval between shots changes"? Doesn't seem very likely that it would ever change. Why would anyone change the interval between shots for a weapon?
I'm telling you, this is totally one way to overcome the clumsy sounding short burst sounds. It would absolutely guarantee steady sounding bursts and it's less work than you think. Sure, it might take extra few minutes of future modders' time but that's all. :)

Salvo, sounds like u r quite a sound engineer? Wanna consider doing that for this project? I believe we can do with some more sound engineers. Upload the sounds u amended here, and i am sure u will receive alot of feedback if not thanks. :)

s300pmu1

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:59:25 pm »
Ok, I've had enough with the current burst sounds for Assault Rifle and Machine Gun.
Not only :(
The sound for the mini shotgun burst is even more unfit. However, I understand that this would rather fall in the "finishing touches" category done before the next stable release.
And yes, in all good games they have separate single shot, auto and burst sounds for each weapon. Burst sound is _not_ same as n * single shot sound IRL.

Still, a sound issue I find more disturbing than that is the geoscape sounds, namely,
info.wav
mail.wav
standard.wav
ufospotted.wav

They are comparatively too lound, and perhaps even clipped, so that whenever they are played the whole freakin' setup is trembling and a-shakin' and I do wonder what my neighbors think of me. Well, not any longer, as I have just replaced them with a less loud versions. Might be considered for the next stable release, I guess.