project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 3 Player Local Area Network game not woring.. help!  (Read 3153 times)

CapnKill

3 Player Local Area Network game not woring.. help!
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:03:46 am »
Hi there,

Me and my two roommates want to play a 1 vs 1 vs 1 game, and while we're able to play 1 on 1 games with eachother any time we try to do a 3 player game it won't work.

It will show the connecting screen and say 2/3 ... and sometimes it flashes to 3/3 for a second and then goes back to 2/3...

Any ideas?  I have the server on the DMZ... not sure if anything else needs to be done... but i figured since we can all each connect to eachother everything should be ok...

thoughts?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: 3 Player Local Area Network game not woring.. help!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:38 pm »
which version are you talking about? which os are you using?

CapnKill

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:46 pm »
which version are you talking about? which os are you using?

Wow, looks like I decided to leave out a lot of useful information.  My bad...

Game Ver: UFO AI ver 2.2.1 x86
OS: Windows XP (all 3 systems)  Not 100% sure on the service packs... I'll check tonight.

Update:  Since we always dropped one player, we tried to add a 4th PC to the mix and it worked out.  So when trying to connect 4 players at the same time we only got 3, which was our goal all along.  Tonight I will troubleshoot the issue on our end with the PC that we suspect might be causing the problem (although that PC works fine with 1 vs 1 games) and then report back with anything else useful. 

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »
Hmm, off-by-one bug somewhere? :)

-geever

CapnKill

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:09 pm »
Hmm, off-by-one bug somewhere? :)

-geever

Dunno... until I test it out in a different environment I would assume its a problem with our LAN... I'll try to get a 3 person game setup here at work and see if I see the same issue, that will pretty much give us the answer.

CapnKill

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »
Ok, just tried it at work and had the same issue.  Here's the description as best as I can put it:

Game Type: Multiplayer - 1 on 1 on 1

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Get 3 PCs ready to play
2. Start server on PC # 1
3. Join with PC #2 and note that players are listed as 2/3
4. Join with PC #3 and note that on both clients players will be listed as 3/3 for 1 second and then revert back to 2/3 (The server PC never sees the 3/3)

All 3 PCs use Win XP SP 3
Version of game: 2.2.1

CapnKill

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:33:30 pm »
So either I'm the only one running into the issue or 1 on 1 on 1 games are not very common :) 

I will grab the latest dev release and see if it still occurs there, and then log a bug accordingly.