project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Can't find pics/  (Read 3302 times)

eloy

Can't find pics/
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:45:05 am »
Hello.    (sorry for my "english", i'm spanish and i'm learning english)

When I launch ufoai I get some error messages:

Can't find pics/
Can't find pics/menu/buildings_ll
Can't find pics/menu/buildings_lr

I have seen pics/ directory is located into ufoai/ directory.

The pics/menu/ directory is located in ufoai/pics/menu, but buildings_ll and buildings_lr archives do not exist in this directory.
In ufoai/pics/menu/ I can find buy_ll.jpg and buy_lr.jpg archives. I have tried to change the file name but this is not a solution because I get the same error message when I launch ufoai.

I use linux (ubuntu breezy) in my laptop. I have installed ufoai as a normal user (not like root) and the ufoai/ directory is located in /home/myuser/. I can play ufoai, but sometimes the earth map turn to a white window. I think it is not a very important problem because I can continue playing ufoai.

I hope this comment could serve to solve these problems.
You are doing a very good work with ufoai.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Can't find pics/
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 08:19:33 am »
thanks eloy. what is your graphic card? ati? :-)

eloy

Can't find pics/
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:03:25 pm »
I don't know what is my graphic card. I'm running ufoai in a Toshiba Tecra A3 laptop.

eloy@navarra:~$ lspci

0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. Mobile Graphics Controller (rev 03)

0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. Mobile Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I hope this lspci could determine what graphic card I have.
If you need more information about what hardware or software I'm using, just say it.

pdr

Can't find pics/
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:01:11 am »
I'm seeing this problem as well.  At first I do see the world map, but within a minute or so, it suddenly goes white.  I'm getting some strange problems with the base view as well.  I'm using Ubuntu Edgy, and also with an intel graphics card:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

eli

Can't find pics/
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:10:00 am »
I've been experiencing the same issue as the last poster with (I believe) the same Intel i810 onboard video. At first images will display correctly, but eventually various parts of the interface -- both interface elements/buttons and textures in tactical mode -- are replaced with either all-white or with text fragments, apparently from the console (i.e. the text is texture-mapped onto spaceships, landscape features, etc.) I thought my cheap Intel controller might not be up to the task and tried lower resolutions, but at those resolutions the game crashed altogether after a few minutes.

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Can't find pics/
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:05:35 pm »
This problem of white geoscape and white texture seems to be a common problem for Linux users. (I have it too, and I saw in several threads that other people experienced it also).

Usually, the answer is that you should update your graphic card driver.

In my case (ATI radeon mobility in a Dell Laptop), I didn't manage to do it, so I installed UFO under Win XP and it worked just find... (OK, this is a rather poor solution :( )

Silencer

Can't find pics/
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:57:01 am »
It's not impossible it's the video card, the Intel chipsets are almost universally problematic for 3D games with texturing faults being a common complaint, they're worse than ATi used to be. I actually installed my Radeon in my P4 originally because of the fact the onboard intel video card was causing paging faults in some of my favourite games, it was so frustrating I nearly ripped the nVidia GeForce 4400 PCI out of my Debian server to replace it. Obviously the laptop doesn't have the option of swapping out video cards, but I'm sure someone else using the same series onboard vid under Windows could potentially confirm or deny it's blame.