project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Question about sound effects  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Chacineiro

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Question about sound effects
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »
Hello guys,

First of all, congratulations on your hard work, i just downloaded version 2.3.1 and its just great, its the game that gets closest to X-Com in my opinion, and with the potential to become even better in the future.

That said, I have a question about the sound effects, I noticed that there are no footsteps sound, no death sounds and no alien plasma gun sounds, is it a bug in my installation or something you plan to add in the future? I´ve read trough that changelogs and found many mentions to footsteps and death sound begin added, I wonder if its just for the 2.4 dev or it should be in 2.3.1 as well, if thats the case, my installation seems bugged, because they only sound effects working for me are the PHALANX soldiers gun sounds.

Thanks a lot, cant wait to see the next release.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: Question about sound effects
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »
Well iam sure its the sound system of 2.3. So its not a bug "its a feature". In 2.3.X sounds are only played if theyre near to the soldiers. If a Alien shoots from the other side of the map you wont hear anything. In 2.4 Dev this has been changed and the sounds are now depending on the position of the cam - even if the cam is far away from soldiers or aliens you can still hear them shooting,running etc.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:33:48 pm by Crystan »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:37:38 pm »
Well iam sure its the sound system of 2.3. So its not a bug "its a feature". In 2.3.X sounds are only played if theyre near to the soldiers. If a Alien shoots from the other side of the map you wont hear anything. In 2.4 Dev this has been changed and the sounds are now depending on the position of the cam - even if the cam is far away from soldiers or aliens you can still hear them shooting,running etc.

Crystan, isn't it exploitable? If I move the camera to a zone which is not detected and an alien shots there will I hear it?

-geever

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »
Geever, here you can find the discussion we had about that change:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3024743&group_id=157793&atid=805242

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:28:13 pm »
Crystan, isn't it exploitable? If I move the camera to a zone which is not detected and an alien shots there will I hear it?

Maybe, but every other modern X-Com styled game (atleast the UFO:After titles) uses this "method" afaik. I dont think you get a huge advantage of it. Probably a "lock cam on selected soldier when click end turn" would fix this problem.