project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Word to developers/Mods: Don't respond people aggresively..  (Read 2558 times)

Archer

Word to developers/Mods: Don't respond people aggresively..
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »
As i read through the topics i've noticed that many people posting their opinions and wishes are pushed around. This is not a good way to go, Mods. Not good at all.

For instance, a user posting about how including corridors in base defense missions would make defending rooms easier (X-COM had this), is replied "Feel free to send us a patch to reduce CPU-load on texture cycles" or whatever cr@p. If we are nothing more than inferiors working under YOUR company, than we are BETA-TESTERS, NOT PROGRAMMERS. It is YOUR JOB TO WRITE PATCHES.

Regards
Archer

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Word to developers/Mods: Don't respond people aggresively..
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:58:05 pm »
JOB?
My job is PhD studing to become a molecular biologist. And when I send patches, I just want to unselfish help, to make the game slightly better.

Are you paying for game? Or we have sighned a contract with you?
This is opensource, and noone is owed nothing for noone. And there is no company, just community. Please, look to dictionary to know difference.

Crinos512

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:08:09 pm »
For instance, a user posting about how including corridors in base defense missions would make defending rooms easier (X-COM had this), is replied "Feel free to send us a patch to reduce CPU-load on texture cycles" or whatever cr@p. If we are nothing more than inferiors working under YOUR company, than we are BETA-TESTERS, NOT PROGRAMMERS. It is YOUR JOB TO WRITE PATCHES.

just... wow.

I'm not a developer on this game at all, but I do understand the frustration they must feel when approached with a request like this. Sure it may have been more appropriate to say:

"If we add corridors using the current rendering technology the amount of textures rendered would slow the game to an unplayable crawl. If you know of a way to improve the performance of the graphics engine when rendering textures beyond what we currently have please feel free to tell us, but as of right now this is not possible. Thank you ever so much for the suggestion."

...but remember this is an OPEN SOURCE game. The source code is out there for anyone to look at and tweak. There is no "company". It's not their JOB, it's their Hobby! (...a very difficult but rewarding one.) They are not profiting financially from this project at all, it is simply given to us.

I suggest that if you do not find this game satisfactory that you return it for a full refund.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:10:34 pm by Crinos512 »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »
Wow, we've never before had self-righteous dickheads whinging about how a team of volunteers working for free in their spare time are not jumping to fulfill their every demand! This is an entirely new development!

See, that's me responding aggressively. I have no other answer for your aggressive bullshit. Consider this your one and only warning, Archer.

Thread locked.

Regards,
Winter