project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 3768 times)

billb

Feature Requests
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:04:47 pm »
I didn't see anything that looked like a catch-all thread, so I just figured I'd start this one.

Unequipped Soldiers:  I hated this about the original XCOM games.  We need a prompt before we send soldiers out into the field unequipped.  It's easy to forget, sometimes, and there should be a script that checks for assigned soldiers who don't have weapons.  A request for confirmation before sending a soldier out unarmed would make a lot of sense.

Bad Hospital Management:  I shouldn't have to tell those lazy medics to get off their butts and start healing my critically wounded soldiers.  What do they think that guy with the plasma burns is doing laying in that hospital bed anyway?  Why is there even a 'heal' button at all?  What ELSE would I want the medics to do with a wounded soldier laying in bed?  Maybe if you're going to force us to click the heal button, you should give us a 'reject coverage' button and a 'notify next of kin' button  ;)  I kid, I kid.

UFO Dogfights:  These should be a little more interesting than 'A UFO is shooting at your interceptor."  You know that.  I hope you're working on it.

Otherwise, thank you so much for all your hard work.  It's a beautiful game, and very, very much appreciated.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:35:30 pm »
Unequipped Soldiers:  I hated this about the original XCOM games.  We need a prompt before we send soldiers out into the field unequipped.  It's easy to forget, sometimes, and there should be a script that checks for assigned soldiers who don't have weapons.  A request for confirmation before sending a soldier out unarmed would make a lot of sense.

We plan on implementing "templates" that make equipping soldiers a lot less painful than it is now. This includes a standard template for the initial troops (though this may not be the optimal loadout for your liking!)

UFO Dogfights:  These should be a little more interesting than 'A UFO is shooting at your interceptor."  You know that.  I hope you're working on it.

There are some plans for this, but nothing is being done about it yet. It may take a while (remember, we have a LOT to do still). I agree, though, that the current interceptions aren't good enough.

billb

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:18:07 pm »
Cool.  I was thinking templates, too.

I've noticed a small bug.  Sometimes I crash when I switch elevation views using the arrow keys.  This has happened twice, both times when I used the down arrow.  I'm on 2.2, .dmg

Now just fix the hospital and we'll be all set :)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:27:14 pm »
We plan on implementing "templates" that make equipping soldiers a lot less painful than it is now. This includes a standard template for the initial troops (though this may not be the optimal loadout for your liking!)

Templates would be interesting, but something which would be a simpler starting point is an "auto-equip" button, which would provide the soldier with the best available equipment for his skills.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:04:36 pm »
Templates would be interesting, but something which would be a simpler starting point is an "auto-equip" button, which would provide the soldier with the best available equipment for his skills.

And how does one know what "the best" equipment is??? Sorry, but i dont think that would be useful...

Templates would really cool, if you could personalize this template....that would GREAT, but as there is still a lot of work...well, i keep on hoping...