project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: tristate reaction-fire  (Read 4259 times)

decay

tristate reaction-fire
« on: October 22, 2006, 07:29:23 pm »
hi!
does reaction-fire mode 2 make any difference to mode 1?

great project btw.  :D

ubequitz

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:56:59 am »
In RC5 reaction-fire is kind of broken... only the first of a series of patches to fix reaction-fire was merged from the development version to branch (from which the RC series is created). Some changes were also made to the TU allocation for reaction-fire mode which makes the second ("two-tick" reaction mode) very non-intuitive (indeed it is rare that it behaves differently from the first mode since it is highly unlikely your soldiers will have sufficient TUs remaining to take multiple shots). For RC6 reaction-fire will be vastly improved and the second mode for reaction-fire will actually allow your troops to take multiple shots in their reaction-fire turn.

decay

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:00:28 am »
thanks for your reply! the 2nd mode will be very usefull  :)

sirg

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 11:36:15 am »
About reaction fire - it doesn't always work, and even though I double "tick" the reaction fire button, and some TUs get wasted for that, after I spend all of my remaining TUs for movement, inventory, etc, the actor doesn't use the RF if an alien gets close.

I have a suggestion: how about normal reaction fire (one check) to make the soldier use all the saved TUs for RF and the ones left from the previous turn for taking one or several shots (if enough TUs) using the primary fire mode of the weapon, and for double checked RF to use the secondary, more powerfull mode, of the weapon?
Besides, you could make a smarter RF mode, preventing the soldier to use all the TUs for shoting an alien twice if just one will be enough to kill it. Thus, the soldier can use RF multiple times in a turn, if has enough TUs for several shots. Some weapons, like pistols, require less TUs.

ubequitz

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 07:18:21 pm »
As you noted sirg, in RC5 reaction-fire is often not triggered even if the alien walks nearby! This was a major bug (some patches were merged to "improve "reaction-fire but they actually made it buggy... and later patches that fixed this were not merged). So stay tuned for RC6 where it will be a lot better (still reaction-fire in RC6 may not work if the alien briefly appears behind a window, shoots and ducks back though... and possibly in a few other cirumstances involving obstacles between the soldier and the alien, but we are working on fixing the code so it works better).

sirg

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:58:11 pm »
Maybe a "small bug" would be fine, meaning that in a situation like the aliens shows briefly behind a window it's kind of "natural" for the soldier to be surprised. I some cases, reaction fire feels like cheating. In X-Com there were soldiers with good reactions and poor reactions, because the game featured the "reaction skill". Anyway... don't understand me wrong... it's OK even how reaction fire is now :) and I'm certain you will fix it, but think about the reactions skill... right now each soldier has Bruce Lee reflexes :)

Nevyn

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 03:41:58 am »
What would be nice would be if the fire mode the soldier uses in reaction fire could be unassociated from the amount of TU's he uses(and if he uses TU's from the next turn)

So that you could have a sniper on reaction fire but only using aimed shots, and using all the TU's he has and next turns if he needs, and a plasma rifle guy covering a hall way with the wide burst ray fire option, using all his time units etc...

So that you have a lot more options for how to cover your soldiers for enemy team movement.

Noone

tristate reaction-fire
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 08:40:18 am »
Reaction Fire Mode 1 means that the soldier does only one Shot mode 2 means he will spend all the Time Units of his next turn (if there is enough Alien activity) But i also would at least have the chance to choose wich Firemode the reaction Fire has, i really got annoyed when my tachyon-rifle-Soldier shot in first mode at an Alien walking out a door i covered with my whole Team. Well the alien was dead, just as half of my tem  :roll: