project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Design: Difficulty  (Read 11937 times)

altugi

Design: Difficulty
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 02:21:46 am »
Quote from: "Bandobras"
Some pretty relevant insights. In particular your definition of the easiest acceptable level as the lowest that doesn't make loose respect for the aliens and the game is very smart.

Thanks. :lol:  It's just common scriptwriting wisdom applied to games.

However, I think you are wasting you talent spending so much time on things that will not be implemented for a long time.

The bad thing is that you are totally right about this.  :cry:

I would heartily encourage you to contribute something that will get into the game in the matter of weeks, if not days.

As I said in another post, I can't really focus on things right now. But I will be around more often, so if I can focus, I will certainly help out.

In particular, right now, lots of wiki texts are getting into the game and are verified and rewritten before an en.po freeze.

I see, we have a deadline approaching. Well, let's hope for the best.

If you could look at the texts, perhaps look at them in ufopedia too, and help making it a coherent whole or just help with particular entires...

Ok, I'll do that whenever possible.

(Type research_all in the console to see them all, and use trunk or the upcoming RC4, or the unofficial xdelta files for it).

I need the latest version of the game btw. I built a version via SVN Tortoise two months ago, but after a while I couldn't connect and I don't have the latest updates now. I have no idea how the game "plays" now. Besides, I think I have forgotten how the process worked. I'll contact Mattn in the next few days. Or maybe I can get some help from you.

I invite you especially to the pages that I have under my care, that is Equipment and Damage Types. But others are interesting too, especially Skills. Feel free to ask questions and discuss on the wiki pages.

If you need help on a particular text, just point at it. I'll take a look at it then. In this way, we can progress in a more controlled way. We can go over things in a typical writer-editor-proofreader cycle and repeat it when necessary. I'll be glad to have you as "my" leader :-)

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 04:07:03 am »
I need the latest version of the game btw. I built a version via SVN Tortoise two months ago, but after a while I couldn't connect and I don't have the latest updates now.

Try now. The trunk, after two mattn's patches several hours ago, seems quite stable. The en.po is very recent, too. See the wiki for compilation instructions. In case of troubles ask on IRC or in the discussion subforum (I lurk in both).

If you need help on a particular text, just point at it.

E.g. Combat_Knife needs something aggresive, as well as Plasma Blade (Kerrblade seems to be done). Medikit and IR Goggles are especialy interesting, but these probably require discussion (and/or testing to get the feeling, in the "test" campaign with research_all, as described on the tweak_weapons page of the wiki).

Nearly nothing is written for Grenade Launcher, but a forum topic about it exists (link on the talk page). A whole forum topic exists also for Bolter Rifle (original author MIA, pm does not reach him). Plasma Blaster is an impressive weapon, too.

When you have questions best write on the talk page of the wiki or you can start a new Design topic here.

I'll take a look at it then. In this way, we can progress in a more controlled way. We can go over things in a typical writer-editor-proofreader cycle and repeat it when necessary. I'll be glad to have you as "my" leader :-)

Whether I'm up to the task, or not, I feel honoured. :) Frankly, when you are somewhat into the topic, I'm very anxious to show you current in-game ufopedia, with links from weapons to skills and from ammo to damage type (the latter need a lot of work). This does not quite fit together, yet. Seems too technical and ad hoc. But I think there is a lot of potential here, just some good idea for reediting is needed.

E.g. change Plasma Damage Type to "Interaction of Plasma Balls with Solid Materials" and write the same in a less game-mechanics style and more scientific style. Or something. There is also an option to make Plasma Damage Type an expensive research topic (currently it's free after you research Plasma Control) and let players only use collected ammo clips, without the possibility to produce any. Or even disallow reload... Perhaps some research topics related to skills, too. Like "Advanced Assault Rifles Tactics Against Aliens"... Currently they sometimes sound too game-technical, as well. You'll see. :)

HaJo

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 02:54:36 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
five difficulty settings:
* Very Easy
* Easy
* Normal
* Hard
* Really Quite Hard

currently in 2.0 RC4-2319, we have 3 settings that I consider
to be Very Easy / Normal / Really Hard.

Some revisions ago, the difficulty for campaigns has also been altered,
in addition to money and number of soldiers,
(which is not mentioned in the campaign-descriptions !)
and this is a bit too much at once.

Too many soldiers is bad because you cannot use them (only the
first 19 men are selectable), and it causes more micromanagement.

Too few soldiers is bad, because it takes away choices from the player.
(You have to use everyone in the mission, to have any chance at all)
And restarting the game until you get a 'good enough' team is not fun...

I suggest:
* Very Easy  - 18 soldiers, 6'000'000c, difficulty -3,
* Easy         - 16 soldiers, 6'000'000c, difficulty -2
* Normal      - 12 soldiers, 4'000'000c, difficulty 0
* Hard          - 8 soldiers, 3'500'000c, difficulty 2
* Really Hard - 6 soldiers, 3'500'000c, difficulty 3

Another important issue is the availability of armor:
currently, you only get 8 kevlar-vests.
With one of these, a soldier has a chance to survive 1 or
2 shots from a distance. Without it, he is most likely dead.

Armor of dead soldiers is lost, so without replacement
from the market, the situation gets worse, because
the soldiers will die even faster.
And on "hard difficulty", you get less money,
so even producing armor (at outragous prices)
is not feasible.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 05:55:29 am »
This was tweaked in r2381. Thanks and see if you like it...