Technical support > Linux

A Gamer Package

<< < (2/3) > >>

kurja:
On the debian page,
--- Quote ---You can use the python script update.py in ufoaisource/contrib/map-get/update.py to save time and CPU power and download all the latest compiled maps (.bsps) from our server.
--- End quote ---

That worked for me, do you get an error when trying to run that python script??

Having ran make, do you now have an executable ufo file?

Steam:
You gave me an idea (Thank you!) so I went back to the files from github, sure enough there is a folder in there called "contrib" which contains the update map routines in a sub folder "map-get".  No such folder exists in the files from sourceforge so the scripts fail.  They work perfectly on the github files and I can download the maps rather than compiling them.  I disabled testall in the configuration and ran make on the github files which terminated with:

http://pastebin.com/b6M6eAN5

Nevertheless I decided to see if I had an executable ufo file, and I do, but it crashes:

http://pastebin.com/hVyCKCZ4

Duke:
for the error in bspslicer do a git pull.

Steam:
I was about to ask you for a tutorial on git, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

That disposed of the bspslicer error (thanks) and make now seems to complete, at least it ends at:

===> LD [ufoslicer]

if that is correct?

Now a different issue:

Executable is still crashing with the error shown above:

http://pastebin.com/hVyCKCZ4

Do I need different drivers for my videocard?  Or is it something else? 

Steam:
For the benefit of those who may step this way in the future, I shall continue.  As I've said I am new to linux, so when I installed Ubuntu the software didn't put me off using open source drivers so much as warmly suggest I would get much better performance using proprietary drivers developed for Linux by AMD.  To quote the software center "this package provides 2D display drivers and hardware accelerated OpenGL"  If you come from a Microsoft background it is usually better to install the manufacturers drivers as opposed to the generic inbuilt ones.

I decided to have a look at how the driver might be performing and the results of glxinfo produced:

name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  12
  Current serial number in output stream:  12

Which looked surprisingly like the error I saw when I tried to run the game.  The results of some research showed that this is not uncommon and may cause errors with other things too such as Minecraft (which I don't play), and Steam (which I don't use) The driver is fglrx, but the results of fglrxinfo produces the same error.  It turns out that fglrx is blacklisted in etc/modprobe.d/fglrx.conf which consists of

# This file was installed by fglrx
# Do not edit this file manually

blacklist radeon
alias fglrx fglrx
alias radeon off
alias lbm-radeon off

So, I shall either have to figure out how to edit this, get it off the blacklist, or uninstall and purge the fglrx drivers and install some open source drivers instead.

Now, if the moderator(s) would rather I stopped posting about this, please let me know and I will stop.  I propose further posts detailing how I got ufoai working, or died trying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version