Technical support > Linux

A Gamer Package

<< < (3/3)

Duke:
It's perfectly fine if you continue.

Steam:
I couldn't work out how to remove the fglrx blacklist file, and in the end I didn't want a device I paid for run by software I don't appear to have any control over.  To be fair there are a number of ways of installing the proprietary drivers and I may just have chosen the wrong one because my catalyst control center didn't work, perhaps this person's method of installation is better and may produce an install that doesn't produce errors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka5gBMlo-zo

I spent longer making sure I uninstalled and purged all the instances of fglrx than it took to reboot with the open source drivers.  The video card is now being run by a Gallium 0.4 driver and I thought I was onto something when there was an immediate and verbose response to glxinfo.

I'm pleased to report that it doesn't look like I'm going to have to die trying because, although I don't have any time to play right now, the game loaded without a hitch.

kurja:
great =D

I had a terrible time with ati drivers when I tried using their gpu on a linux machine, I've been much happier with nvidia since... not to say that there wouldn't be room for improvement in that camp as well.

Steam:
This box was built several years ago for Windows Vista, in fact that's still around on a partition.

This is actually the first game I have installed on Linux, other than the "waste a few minutes" games like minefield, and so far I'm impressed especially after all the negative vibes about games on Linux from the Windows aficionados.

Xeno:
In my experience UFOAI works ok on open drivers. (DELL Vostro 3560 - Radeon 7670m,  kernel 3.15 + mesa 10.1.5  + xorg 1.14). I believe your hardware shoud be enough to runthe ghame @1920x1080 with almost maxxed details (maybe except full-screen antialiasing).  Caltalysts may provide higher FPS at cost of bugs and crashes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version