project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Port map  (Read 3808 times)

Eltanin

Port map
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:46:42 pm »
The visibility of the aliens during the port map is a little off. There are several ships with railings which seem to provide the aliens with complete visual cover. I can't see them unless the character is on the deck of the ship. The worst case of this was on the barge. The deck of the barge is clearly below the dock level but the alien popped into view, shot, and disappeared again. When the character went down onto the ship, the alien was only 2 squares away from the entrance - should have been visible.

Man what a fun game.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools

ubequitz

Port map
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 07:27:54 pm »
There was a bug in the engine in how it calculated visibility through a "playerclip" region. It was fixed here: http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai?view=rev&revision=4602

I think this fixes all these sorts of issues.

Eltanin

Port map
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:58:09 pm »
Thanks gents. Sorry to repeat stuff that's already been hashed over. Didn't see it on the forums here (I did look  :?) but I haven't really perused the bug tracker at all. Oy.

ubequitz

Port map
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:14:19 am »
I dont think it was discussed on the forums Eltanin, so don't worry about it  :P

Although the major visibility blocking issues seem to be fixed now it is still bizarrely possibly to see through certain solid objects in some spots (e.g. the fence in the farm map)... I'm not sure what is causing that at all.

Finally the harbor map has a number of other bugs (the walkway to the tower on the farside is not walkable and most if not all second-level floors are not walkable either... the former is easily fixable but the latter is proving troublesome to fix). Even with these limitations the map is still playable (99% of the time) so it made it into RC6 (well I'm biased because I like the map despite these issues  :D ).

Eltanin

Port map
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 05:52:08 pm »
I hadn't found those other bugs just yet. Now I've started over with RC6 (!!!hooray!!!) so it'll be a bit before I get back there. Yep, I'm married.  :)

For what it's worth, I really really like the harbor map as well. Good fun.

HaJo

Re: Port map
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:53:22 am »
Quote from: "Eltanin"
ships with railings which seem to provide the aliens with complete visual cover.

Back in RC4 or RC5, I had a similar experience in the disco of the city-map:
Aliens appeared suddenly on the dancefloor, they must have been hiding
behind these narrow dancing-poles :-)

Noone

Port map
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 03:26:41 pm »
Port map is nice but the not walkable part in the north is annoying. I had an Ortnok hiding in the Tower there and i couldnt shoot him. Well i finally succedet in bombing him out with Grenades but that has to be fixed.

ubequitz

Port map
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 10:10:02 pm »
Yeah, there are a lot of bugs in the port map in RC6.

However I managed to fix all the known problems with the map in the development version of the game (unwalkable pathways, rooftops/platforms etc). So this should be fixed in the next installment of the game (probably RC7 or we might call it  2.0 final).